Day 22 and still nothing. What do I do?

It’s hard, I know! It’s all I can do not to check when I have a broody hatching!
Same here!!
I usually 'make friends' with the broody so I can check under her.
Candling at least once at 14 days to remove duds.
Really paid off once when a chick got it's neck tangled up tight in mama's breast feathers,
could have been disastrous if she hadn't allowed me to tend to it.
But, yeah, once hatching starts I'm pretty much hands off.

So it’s almost the end of day 22 and I still don’t have any chicks and I haven’t seen any pips. Should I candle one to see what’s going on or should I wait till tomorrow? I’m starting to doubt any are going to hatch. I’ll leave them until day 25 but it’d be nice to know if their still alive or if any have internally pipped.
Oh, dear...
Usually, we make sure they're not alive or moving and then open them up.
But, if their alive and moving you could CAREFULLY put a tiny air hole where the beak would be, but I do not recommend doing so unless you totally know what you're doing.

Oh, dear...
Usually, we make sure they're not alive or moving and then open them up.
But, if their alive and moving you could CAREFULLY put a tiny air hole where the beak would be, but I do not recommend doing so unless you totally know what you're doing.
Ok. Luckily I don’t think it’ll come to that because I just found a second chick. :celebrate
I was worried about them hatching late but the two that have hatched are perfectly healthy so I think I can be pretty hands off from now on.

Back
Top Bottom