Day 22 Call Duck Hatching

IMG_6370.JPG

One little guy hatched. There are other working on it. They don't seem to be coming along very fast. How many out there have had to help their Call Ducks???
The one that hatched is a very active healthy little guy.

Call ducks often need help, especially the ones bred closer to SOP. Their short bills and short necks make them struggle to hatch on their own. I've assisted many of them, i try to let them externally pip on their own, wait 24 hours or so, then I'll open the air cell end. They can still take 24-48 hours to fully hatch. Ducks in general are quick to pip, but slow to hatch. (making it rough on is impatient people! Lol)

Adorable. This gives me hope. I have some on day 20, one had a small egg fall on it and it has a small crack. Duckling is still showing movement so I am hopefully it can still hatch. Membrane did not break. This is my first try hatching call eggs. I am a nervous wreck. What day do I need to stop turning?

Adorable. This gives me hope. I have some on day 20, one had a small egg fall on it and it has a small crack. Duckling is still showing movement so I am hopefully it can still hatch. Membrane did not break. This is my first try hatching call eggs. I am a nervous wreck. What day do I need to stop turning?

Did you put anything on the break, like tape or wax or anything to seal it? Depending how big, the membrane inside could dry out quicker, but if it's small, it could be fine.

You are already past the critical turning times, I usually stop day 22-23.

Oh my goodness, I just realized mine are on day 14! 15 eggs doing great.

Did you put anything on the break, like tape or wax or anything to seal it? Depending how big, the membrane inside could dry out quicker, but if it's small, it could be fine.

You are already past the critical turning times, I usually stop day 22-23.

Oh my goodness, I just realized mine are on day 14! 15 eggs doing great.
I did put tape on the break last night. Although it went 2 days with nothing :( I did some research yesterday when I got back to the computer and saw that they needed to be sealed. I will stop turning Thursday. I have been cooling for 15 min and misting with my evening turn. Should I discontinue that as well.

I did put tape on the break last night. Although it went 2 days with nothing :( I did some research yesterday when I got back to the computer and saw that they needed to be sealed. I will stop turning Thursday. I have been cooling for 15 min and misting with my evening turn. Should I discontinue that as well.

Yes, discontinue the misting and cooling when you lock down.
Can't wait to see some cuties!
Are these from your whites?

Back
Top Bottom