Day 22 egg with air sac on the side

sambam22

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
So this is my first incubation and I had 18 eggs in. On the 7th day I noticed one had a detached air sac but was alive and I didn’t have the information that I now know that I should’ve stopped turning that one so the air sac could attach so when I put them on lockdown I candled them all and it was still alive and the air sac looked like it attached on the side of the egg. I wasn’t sure if it was going to actually hatch but I kept my fingers crossed. Well most of my eggs started hatching on day 20 and 4 more hatched yesterday on day 21 just have 4 eggs left waiting to hatch including this one. Well this one pipped at the end of day 20 but no progress since so last night I made the hole bigger so I can see if she was even alive and she was but the hole she made in the air sac was tiny and she was gasping when she would gasp the sac would get sucked in them blow out so I figured she was having trouble so I made a small hole in the sac by her beak and she started chirping and I put her back in the incubator with a wet sponge next to her. Well now it’s the next morning and no progress but she is still alive. Should I wait or help??

Attachments

• B4A4F759-CE03-4698-8BFA-EAD52C82AEB2.jpeg
    B4A4F759-CE03-4698-8BFA-EAD52C82AEB2.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 54
My temperature and humidity have stayed steady during incubation and lockdown except when I pulled babies out that were ready to come out. I’m just worried because it’s not the normal air sac.

My temperature and humidity have stayed steady during incubation and lockdown except when I pulled babies out that were ready to come out. I’m just worried because it’s not the normal air sac.
Thing is, incubator built in thermometers are often unreliable, so its best to calibrate a separate thermometer so that you have the correct temp reading to go by. Same thing with hygrometers. It's possible it was a little lower, but since most had already hatched(?) it's more likely that there were cool spots in the incubator.
Either way, have you had a read of this? Assisted hatching article
It will offer some guidance on what to do and when

Thing is, incubator built in thermometers are often unreliable, so its best to calibrate a separate thermometer so that you have the correct temp reading to go by. Same thing with hygrometers. It's possible it was a little lower, but since most had already hatched(?) it's more likely that there were cool spots in the incubator.
Either way, have you had a read of this? Assisted hatching article
It will offer some guidance on what to do and when
Yea I have a separate thermometer that I kept inside. She didn’t make it and I don’t think she ever would have her stomach was huge and weird and there was this gel like stuff inside. I think her having a messed up air sac messed her up.

Actually if most of the chicks hatched day 20 and 21 temp is probably on target. Sorry to here the little one didn't make it. Hope the others are well.

Yea I have a separate thermometer that I kept inside. She didn’t make it and I don’t think she ever would have her stomach was huge and weird and there was this gel like stuff inside. I think her having a messed up air sac messed her up.
I'm sorry to hear that

Back
Top Bottom