Day 22 Freaking out

Unless the eggs have externally pipped a quick look won't do any harm and unless your ambient humidity is very low, even if there was a pip, as long as you popped it straight back there'd be no harm done. I'd do a quick candle to see what's what.

Thankyou - This is good to know - She seems very reluctant to be moved from the nest so I had throught it would be best to leave her, but I will candle the eggs! :)

Is the candling to see if the chicks are still moving? Or if the eggs werent fertile? Won't the hen give up on the eggs if they aren't fertile?

Ive had to remove infertile eggs from a lovely buff orpington mother hen after 5 weeks...she wasn’t giving up on those eggs anytime soon..was a sad time for us both and I actually do believe she was as sad as me ...
:hit

I was wondering this too?. At this point I would be candling to see if the eggs contained a chick.

My neighbor candled some of her eggs shortly before they were going to hatch so I could see what it looked like. It was crazy. Very dark. But every now and then you could see something move into the air sac. The best part was we could hear the chick chirping. If she whistled at the egg... It would chirp back. So cool.

So I just attempted to candle the eggs with a torch; mumma was very patient with me. I could definitley see the air sac and an area that was dark, no movement however or chirping. It has just started pouring with rain so I may check again tomorrow? Chick is still happy under mum.

Ive had to remove infertile eggs from a lovely buff orpington mother hen after 5 weeks...she wasn’t giving up on those eggs anytime soon..was a sad time for us both and I actually do believe she was as sad as me ...
:hit

:( Oh gosh that would have been so hard. Such a dedicated mumma hen. x

I just realized how long five weeks is. Talk about dedication. Wow.

I thought the natural INstict would kick in and she’d give up but she didn’t.she just sat there and sat there...she looked thin and terrible so I had to intervene and remove the eggs...We actually sat together & shared a can of sweet corn after I’d removed the eggs ...I do love that old hen :love

A dead embryo sinks towards the narrow end of the egg and there will be a watery gap between the air cell and the embryo. If they still look full and dark then your little lone chick should be getting some siblings soon. :fl

Back
Top Bottom