Day 22, I can hear peeping in the last 2 eggs but no pipping yet. How can I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kategre, Mar 20, 2017.

1. kategre

kategre New Egg

Feb 7, 2017
    I set 15 eggs. 12 have hatched. I was going to throw away the last 3 of them. Then I heard chirping inside 2. Can I help them at all? There is no pipping yet. Help I want to save them.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you think they have been internally pipped for 24 hours or more, or if you're worried, you can use a small sharp drill bit to open a small safety hole at the top of the air cell so they can breathe. Then wait and see if they progress further on their own. If not, we can go from there.

3. kategre

kategre New Egg

Feb 7, 2017
    Hi, I waited a little while and then did create a small hole and crack and then waited another 2 hours. There was no progress by the chicks. One sounded much weaker. I went ahead and used my thumb nail to gently crack a line around the eggs. I then waited another few hours. I had to go to work in a few hours and didn't want to leave them so I decided to help them out. I put on some gloves and got some warm water. I gently peeled back the shell to expose the chicks head. I kept the membrane wet and gently worked the top off. I removed a little more of the shell and the chick started stretching out of the shell. I left the bottom portion still attached to it's bottom and put it back in the incubator. The chick did the rest and i'm happy to say is doing well. I repeated the same process on the second chick. She was weak. I just let her rest in the incubator and I thought she had passed. I went in to take the little body out and she popped up and started wiggling around. She's doing well. So a happy ending. They're in the brooder now with their siblings.

Thanks for responding!

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Save a chick or nutra drench are good to give if they hatch weak. I try to keep some on hand at all times. Another good thing to have on hand is Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. When you give these things you can give a couple drops at a time on the side of the beak. You'll see the little chicks Swallow. Just make sure you are avoiding the nostrils.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by