Day 22. I think I see an internal pip

Amy assists but only after 18 hours of no progress and then I only assist enough to increase the pip hole and make sure the chick's positioning is ok. If there doesn't seem to be a problem I put a wet paper towel around them and put them back and give them until 24 hours unless there's a good reason to intervine before, (IE: distressed chick, membranes drying out and becoming glued.)
I was going to get Amy's take before I said it, but I absolutely would not assist at 9 hours. Like she said, there's no way to tell if the yolk is absorbed. You said the blood was absorbed in the yolk, but just because you don't see blood, it doesn't mean the yolk is absorbed. If you assist too early, and the yolk isn't absorbed, in all likelihood you will rupture a blood vessel and the chick will bleed out. I've done it, and it's not pretty. Be patient. If I were you, I wouldn't consider helping until after I got home from work. It will probably hatch while you are gone. If it passes, it wasn't meant to be. Learn from this hatch, and improve on the next one. Good luck
fl.gif

Looks like blood in yolk is absorbed. He seems a little tired. Might help of not hatched by the time I leave work in 9 hours
I wouldn't help until he's gone close to 24 hours without progress. As long as the pip hole is clear, and he can breathe, keep your humidity up above 65%, he should be fine and may be out before you get home from your work shift. I find that if I hold off on helping, giving lots of time for the chick to proove he's not progressing, when I do assist, it's more successful. He may rest for more than 12 hours after the external pip before he completes the job.

I was going to get Amy's take before I said it, but I absolutely would not assist at 9 hours. Like she said, there's no way to tell if the yolk is absorbed. You said the blood was absorbed in the yolk, but just because you don't see blood, it doesn't mean the yolk is absorbed. If you assist too early, and the yolk isn't absorbed, in all likelihood you will rupture a blood vessel and the chick will bleed out. I've done it, and it's not pretty. Be patient. If I were you, I wouldn't consider helping until after I got home from work. It will probably hatch while you are gone. If it passes, it wasn't meant to be. Learn from this hatch, and improve on the next one. Good luck
fl.gif
x2 The veins in the membranes absorb and shut down starting at the top of the egg an slowly receeding as you go down the egg. You may not see any prominent veining around the pip, but chances are the farther down the egg you go the more prominent the veining will be until the vascular system between egg and chick completely shuts down.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I was just going to help with the pip hole
The earlier/sooner you increase the size of the pip hole, the more chance that the membranes have of drying out and becoming glued to the chick because there is more exposure of air to the membrane over a longer time. That is why I don't open the pip until 18 hours of no progress and I put the wet paper towel around the back of the egg when I put them back in, to decrease the chance of that exposed membrane drying out and causing a chick that otherwise would have hatched out fine on their own to become glued by the drying of albumen and membrane.

Ok thanks. I was just going to help with the pip hole
I'm not going to preach, they are your eggs and you are going to do what you are going to do, I can only relay my own experience. I wasn't always like this, with a "no assist" policy. My first hatch ever, I didn't research and wasn't on BYC. It took much longer than I thought it would, and the chicks just looked so weak that I felt like I had to help. I'm going to be graphic and describe what happened to try and persuade you to be patient. My chick was in the exact same position as yours. I opened the incubator to help, unknowingly shrink wrapping 3 other chicks that later died. I peeled away the shell until the chick could wiggle out, but it still had a little cord attached to a piece of shell that is was dragging behind it, and it was cheeping like crazy. I thought it must be the shell that was aggravating it, so I broke the cord to free it from the shell. It started bleeding. As it flopped all around the incubator, it spread blood from one end to the other. There was blood on the floor, on the walls, and on the chick. After a few hours of this, I took it out and put it in the brooder. The few chicks that I did manage to hatch immediately started pecking at the red wound. The chick slowly bled out for the next 36 hours and started to smell. Eventually I had to kill it to put it out of it's misery. Some people can help, and done properly it may work, but I never recommend it for a first time hatcher. Please be patient

Good progress I hope

wow i though my current dude in the brinsea was a miracle chick
i just checked my little giant where i put some excess eggs for giggles and i have an amercauna egg rocking and rolling!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom