Day 22. I think I see an internal pip

blitzons

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015
Day 22 of hatch. Eggs in my brinsea eco haven't started smelling.
However there has been no chirping or rocking.
Temps have been very stable
they have been exactly at 37.5C - 37.6C
except for lost power for 45minutes in early Week 3.
I did candle some eggs today. All air cells are the right size and formed.
No internal pipping BUT I did see an egg that looked like this
A small triangle just barely into the air cell (Im hoping this is an internal pip)

Could anything else cause something to move into the air cell like this?

Weird, we have had almost perfect hatches, the air sacks are normal, growth, and such and the babies are never deformed and nothing has gone wrong but the 2 that didn't pip because of premature cracking and one random one with broken legs and I think wry neck that passed within hours of hatch. We do live in a valley and use a Styrofoam hovabtor. its usually kept pretty high compared to what you say, and we do raise it on the last days. The eggs we hatch are almost never overly porous and some barely at all. It amazes me now knowing all this. Either we are really lucky or have a different setting on our humidity thing XD
The important thing to do is stick with what is working. People's parameters are all over the board across the country. What works for me doesn't work for Amy, and you run higher humidity than both of us. It just shows that everyone has to figure out what works for them in their area

From what I have read on BYC, the dry incubation works in styrofoam, not so much in a Brinsea. My worst hatch ever, 50%, in the Brinsea was at a lower humidity, 35%. I normally run 40-45%, and it seems most, maybe not all, Brinsea users are between 45 and 50%. I think because the Brinsea is so much more well insulated than styrofoam that running one totally dry would equate to some seriously low humidities for the first 18 days. My guess is that could be the culprit for your unsuccessful hatch. I would recommend getting a hygrometer for your next hatch, but if you don't, I would run at least one well full of water for the first 18 days. I run both wells full with the vent fully open, then close the vent to halfway to get to 65-70% for lockdown
x2

I was going to get Amy's take before I said it, but I absolutely would not assist at 9 hours. Like she said, there's no way to tell if the yolk is absorbed. You said the blood was absorbed in the yolk, but just because you don't see blood, it doesn't mean the yolk is absorbed. If you assist too early, and the yolk isn't absorbed, in all likelihood you will rupture a blood vessel and the chick will bleed out. I've done it, and it's not pretty. Be patient. If I were you, I wouldn't consider helping until after I got home from work. It will probably hatch while you are gone. If it passes, it wasn't meant to be. Learn from this hatch, and improve on the next one. Good luck
fl.gif
x2 The veins in the membranes absorb and shut down starting at the top of the egg an slowly receeding as you go down the egg. You may not see any prominent veining around the pip, but chances are the farther down the egg you go the more prominent the veining will be until the vascular system between egg and chick completely shuts down.

Last edited:
A small triangle just barely into the air cell (Im hoping this is an internal pip)

That would be an internal pip by the sounds of it. When you are counting your days, are you counting the day you set, or are you waiting for 24 hours to start count? Also, has your thermometer ever been checked for accuracy?

I agree with Amy. I will be astounded if you don't have any action in that incubator. Day 21 will be the same day of the week you set eggs, so if you set on a Thursday, day 21 is on a Thursday

Back
Top Bottom