Please Help - day 23, internally pipped - attempted assist by making small hole in air cell but blood came out

I found you an article on assisting hatching. It might be helpful to read while you watch for progress.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Ok thanks so much. I have read that article already about 5 times over the last 2 weeks šŸ˜… I will try the damp cloth and see what happensā€¦ do I put it over the whole egg? You know what Iā€™ve just realised, I think itā€™s also malpositioned like one of the other ones was. I though I could see shadow of a beak when I candled but thereā€™s no sign of it, instead it looks like I can see maybe a vent? Itā€™s head is probably at the other end away from the air cellā€¦

You have been absolutely amazing btw, thank you so much for your support, it just might have saved the life of one of my wee babiesā€¦we will see
You are very welcome. I am hoping sheā€™ll be okay ā¤ļø. Many of us have gone through the same heart-wrenching anxiety. We are here for you! By the wayā€¦. welcome, from Ohio, to our wonderful community. ā˜ŗļø

Ok thanks so much. I have read that article already about 5 times over the last 2 weeks šŸ˜… I will try the damp cloth and see what happensā€¦ do I put it over the whole egg? You know what Iā€™ve just realised, I think itā€™s also malpositioned like one of the other ones was. I though I could see shadow of a beak when I candled but thereā€™s no sign of it, instead it looks like I can see maybe a vent? Itā€™s head is probably at the other end away from the air cellā€¦
Ok, warm cloth applied, have wrapped the egg in it but left open the end with the holeā€¦ will let you know what happens but think it might be over for the poor wee thing šŸ˜¢

It's really good that you've done your research like that. That's probably helping you a lot! With the cloth, I would cover as much as I could without covering the hole.

Because you said the chick was shrink wrapped, I went down through that article until I found the section on it. It does say to do a full assist if the chick is shrink wrapped, so I would go with that if you are willing to.

Screenshot from article:
Screenshot_20231223-233812_Chrome.jpg

It's really good that you've done your research like that. That's probably helping you a lot! With the cloth, I would cover as much as I could without covering the hole.

Because you said the chick was shrink wrapped, I went down through that article until I found the section on it. It does say to do a full assist if the chick is shrink wrapped, so I would go with that if you are willing to.

Screenshot from article:
View attachment 3711167
Yes I would absolutely be in there boots and all if I could, but unfortunately the chick hasnā€™t draw the membrane blood in yet. Because it hasnā€™t internally or externally pipped all the membrane is still filled with blood. If I tried to do a full assist at this point it would bleed to death anyway. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything else I can do but maybe wait?

Yes I would absolutely be in there boots and all if I could, but unfortunately the chick hasnā€™t draw the membrane blood in yet. Because it hasnā€™t internally or externally pipped all the membrane is still filled with blood. If I tried to do a full assist at this point it would bleed to death anyway. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything else I can do but maybe wait?
Ok then. Yes, I would say wait. Hopefully it starts to pip soon, though it might not until tomorrow. For now, I would try to keep the incubator closed and give them time to make progress. Chicks do sleep a lot during hatching, so allowing them to get some rest is good too.

Well my wee baby is finally out with lots of help from me. Was badly shrink wrapped šŸ˜žShe is very weak, just chirping ever now and then and sometimes moving, nothing like the others, they all kicked up such a racket when they hatched. Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should give her anything? I thought she might be dehydrated as she was 2 1/2 days overdue and shrink wrapped so gave her a drop of warmed water on a bud which she drankā€¦could I be doing anything else?

Back
Top Bottom