Please Help - day 23, internally pipped - attempted assist by making small hole in air cell but blood came out

Chick Lover 61010

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2023
Please Help - day 23, internally pipped - attempted assist by making small hole in air cell but blood came out…
My baby is pepping very faintly - definitely internally pipped, I can clear,y see beak in air cell. First noticed it peeping yesterday mid afternoon so was obviously internally pipped then. Is now the following day, and as I was worried it needed air decided to take low risk approach and gently pierce the air cell to give it some external air. To my horror blood came out. That was several hours ago. Baby is still pepping very faintly but am terrified I am going to lose her. Can anybody please tell me Why did blood come out and have I harmed my baby? I candled prior to incision, and it was definitely in air cell. And what do I do now? It’s defiantly past 24 hours since she’s internally pipped, but am very worried if I assist further I will harm her

She’s not looking too bad 😊😊

Attachments

• IMG_8411_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8411_Original.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 42
Well, believe it or not my wee baby is still alive 🥳 🥳🥰 she’s still weak, but definitely making more noise. I wouldn’t call them peeps, more like lots of tiny squeaks 🥰 she’s not very pretty because the coconut oil I used to hydrate her membrane to get her out of the shell has flattened her feathers, but I think she’s the most adorable thing on the planet 😄😄😄😄 the other egg sadly didnt survive. when I went in for the rescue, in addition to being shrink wrapped it was positioned the wrong way round in the egg. It hadn’t absorbed the blood around the membrane, so I couldn’t do anything.

I have learned so much through this process and will definitely do some things differently next time, but I just wanted to thank you all so much for your support and kindness. It helped me stay calm to know you guys were there, you cared and were interested and that means such a lot.

I will post some pics once she’s strong enough 😄👍❤️😘😘

Okay, I’m tagging more people. I’m not sure how to really help you with this aside from urging you to watch the egg very closely and look for signs of zipping. It sounds like the chick may be actively attempting to zip (you said there’s movement).
@azygous
@Eggcessive
@Lacy Duckwing
As a late hatcher, I would question either the temperature or humidity (and if they were continuously stable). Once the eggs go into lockdown, you should avoid opening the lid as much as possible. Yes, this is hard, even without concerns, but by opening it, it's causing the temperature and humidity to loose consistency and drop.

With the bleeding, it sounds like you could have accidentally hit a vein with the needle. By vein, I'm meaning the veins that are all around the inside of a shell when there's a chick inside, not the chick itself. (If you take the shells of your hatched chicks and look inside, you should still see the veins there.)
Yes, but it’s not inside the air cell though…. I might make a hole in the aircell anyway…I am probably going to lose her at this point if I don’t do something, if I haven’t already.
Chirp to the egg! Chicks talk back to their mothers while in the egg, so you might be able to tell if it's alive that way.

Ok….. update:
Chick 1: it’s beak is poking through the hole I made, and it is making the odd cheep… I think there’s hope.

Chick 2: this is a bit horrid but.. I peeled back the shell over the air cell, and it was definitely shrink wrapped. I find this surprising because all the other hatchlings membranes were nice and moist (5 so far) so not sure what went wrong? However…I pierced a tiny hole in the membrane and it started to bleed, and the chick moved 😰 I thought it was dead because of the shrink wrapping and of course no movement of any kind…. However I have mopped up the bleeding with a tissue and put coconut oil over the rest of the membrane and put it back in my piece of crap incubator. I don’t hold out any hope for it at all because it isn’t even getting any air, but will just have to wait and see I guess. Is there anything else I can do? The blood vessels haven’t been absorbed at all
Chick 1 is sounding pretty good. On chick 2, I would place a warm, damp cloth over the egg. (Be careful not to cover the hole you did!) That hopefully will moisten things. Again, you may have hit a vein, and not the chick itself. Try your best on not to panic and stay calm. :hugs

I found you an article on assisting hatching. It might be helpful to read while you watch for progress.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Ok thanks so much. I have read that article already about 5 times over the last 2 weeks 😅 I will try the damp cloth and see what happens… do I put it over the whole egg? You know what I’ve just realised, I think it’s also malpositioned like one of the other ones was. I though I could see shadow of a beak when I candled but there’s no sign of it, instead it looks like I can see maybe a vent? It’s head is probably at the other end away from the air cell…

You have been absolutely amazing btw, thank you so much for your support, it just might have saved the life of one of my wee babies…we will see
You are very welcome. I am hoping she’ll be okay ❤️. Many of us have gone through the same heart-wrenching anxiety. We are here for you! By the way…. welcome, from Ohio, to our wonderful community. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom