Please Help - day 23, internally pipped - attempted assist by making small hole in air cell but blood came out

Ok….. update:
Chick 1: it’s beak is poking through the hole I made, and it is making the odd cheep… I think there’s hope.

Chick 2: this is a bit horrid but.. I peeled back the shell over the air cell, and it was definitely shrink wrapped. I find this surprising because all the other hatchlings membranes were nice and moist (5 so far) so not sure what went wrong? However…I pierced a tiny hole in the membrane and it started to bleed, and the chick moved 😰 I thought it was dead because of the shrink wrapping and of course no movement of any kind…. However I have mopped up the bleeding with a tissue and put coconut oil over the rest of the membrane and put it back in my piece of crap incubator. I don’t hold out any hope for it at all because it isn’t even getting any air, but will just have to wait and see I guess. Is there anything else I can do? The blood vessels haven’t been absorbed at all

Ok thanks so much. I have read that article already about 5 times over the last 2 weeks 😅 I will try the damp cloth and see what happens… do I put it over the whole egg? You know what I’ve just realised, I think it’s also malpositioned like one of the other ones was. I though I could see shadow of a beak when I candled but there’s no sign of it, instead it looks like I can see maybe a vent? It’s head is probably at the other end away from the air cell…
Ok, warm cloth applied, have wrapped the egg in it but left open the end with the hole… will let you know what happens but think it might be over for the poor wee thing 😢

Yes I would absolutely be in there boots and all if I could, but unfortunately the chick hasn’t draw the membrane blood in yet. Because it hasn’t internally or externally pipped all the membrane is still filled with blood. If I tried to do a full assist at this point it would bleed to death anyway. I don’t think there’s anything else I can do but maybe wait?
Ok then. Yes, I would say wait. Hopefully it starts to pip soon, though it might not until tomorrow. For now, I would try to keep the incubator closed and give them time to make progress. Chicks do sleep a lot during hatching, so allowing them to get some rest is good too.

Well my wee baby is finally out with lots of help from me. Was badly shrink wrapped 😞She is very weak, just chirping ever now and then and sometimes moving, nothing like the others, they all kicked up such a racket when they hatched. Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should give her anything? I thought she might be dehydrated as she was 2 1/2 days overdue and shrink wrapped so gave her a drop of warmed water on a bud which she drank…could I be doing anything else?

Ok it’s done. She had stopped moving completely but once I put the hole in I felt some slight movement - can now hear a tiny tapping sound and got one peep. I will wait an hour to see what she does and then maybe assist further
I’m breathing a sigh of relief for you. How are the other 2 doing?

The membrane doesn’t look shrink wrapped I don’t think,
I’m breathing a sigh of relief for you. How are the other 2 doing?
They are doing great 😭 am crying my eyes out! This is so emotional! One of them was malpositioned, she pipped at the small end of her egg near the yoke. I had to assist her a tiny bit but she did the rest on her own. Hopefully this wee love survives 😭😭 there is one other egg, it hasn’t internally pipped at all. I have felt some very slight movement from it earlier today but nothing now. Don’t know if I should try and help it or not

Back
Top Bottom