No internal pip day 23

impr3

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Lake County, CA
Only 1/18 shipped eggs made it to lockdown. Now we're at the end of day 22/start of day 23 and still no internal pip... I don't see movement, but it definitely grew between day 18 and now so hopefully still alive. When would you consider opening the aircell end of it still hasn't internally pipped? I'm considering tomorrow or the day after. Thanks! Very anxious chicken parent here...

FYI, if I do attempt an assist, I'll be following the method shown here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Only 1 of 18 made it to lockdown? That's horrible. So sorry. Wherever did you buy your eggs? I've gotten them three times off of eBay and get an average 70% hatch rate.

I am assuming these are normal chicken eggs, so 21 days to hatch. If you're sure it hasn't pipped though, since you don't have other eggs in there to worry about, you could candle it. Otherwise, I think your plan is a good one. I read that article before, and it's excellent! I forgot to rate it.

Currently candling every evening to check for progress and still no internal pip as of this evening (end of day 23, start of day 24). I'm getting really anxious and trying to sit on my hands but really wanting to assist so I'd at least be doing something! :fl

Currently candling every evening to check for progress and still no internal pip as of this evening (end of day 23, start of day 24). I'm getting really anxious and trying to sit on my hands but really wanting to assist so I'd at least be doing something! :fl
Just FYI, it didn't make it :(. I finally decided to assist last night (end of day 25) and followed the assist instructions to open up the aircell end of the shell. No movement from the chick. No visible vessels in the membrane. Confirmed deceased chick after pealing away the membrane. No obvious deformity and it looked ready to hatch, it just didn't do so... Still had it's yolk but that's not surprising.

Back
Top Bottom