Please Help - day 23, internally pipped - attempted assist by making small hole in air cell but blood came out

Pics of the other two. They are absolutely gorgeous 🥰🥰🥰

Attachments

• IMG_8384_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8384_Original.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 21
I definitely will. She’s has peeped another 2 times. Could be just my imagination but sounds a wee bit louder maybe. 😅😅

I have candled the other one again and have drawn a ring around the air cell (I will never ever make the mistake again I did with the other one). it has not internally pipped but I can see what I’m pretty sure is its beak just on the other side of the air cell. No movement at all that I can feel. What would you do? Should I try to help?
I can ONLY tell you what I’d do, if I knew the egg was really late, and I saw the beak inside the air cell… I’d make a tiny hole.

Yes, but it’s not inside the air cell though…. I might make a hole in the aircell anyway…I am probably going to lose her at this point if I don’t do something, if I haven’t already.

Yes, but it’s not inside the air cell though…. I might make a hole in the aircell anyway…I am probably going to lose her at this point if I don’t do something, if I haven’t already.
I hope for the best for her, but it does sound like she may have passed. 😞 Please let me know how it turns out with these last 2.

Okay, I’m tagging more people. I’m not sure how to really help you with this aside from urging you to watch the egg very closely and look for signs of zipping. It sounds like the chick may be actively attempting to zip (you said there’s movement).
@azygous
@Eggcessive
@Lacy Duckwing
As a late hatcher, I would question either the temperature or humidity (and if they were continuously stable). Once the eggs go into lockdown, you should avoid opening the lid as much as possible. Yes, this is hard, even without concerns, but by opening it, it's causing the temperature and humidity to loose consistency and drop.

With the bleeding, it sounds like you could have accidentally hit a vein with the needle. By vein, I'm meaning the veins that are all around the inside of a shell when there's a chick inside, not the chick itself. (If you take the shells of your hatched chicks and look inside, you should still see the veins there.)
Chirp to the egg! Chicks talk back to their mothers while in the egg, so you might be able to tell if it's alive that way.

Ok….. update:
Chick 1: it’s beak is poking through the hole I made, and it is making the odd cheep… I think there’s hope.

Chick 2: this is a bit horrid but.. I peeled back the shell over the air cell, and it was definitely shrink wrapped. I find this surprising because all the other hatchlings membranes were nice and moist (5 so far) so not sure what went wrong? However…I pierced a tiny hole in the membrane and it started to bleed, and the chick moved 😰 I thought it was dead because of the shrink wrapping and of course no movement of any kind…. However I have mopped up the bleeding with a tissue and put coconut oil over the rest of the membrane and put it back in my piece of crap incubator. I don’t hold out any hope for it at all because it isn’t even getting any air, but will just have to wait and see I guess. Is there anything else I can do? The blood vessels haven’t been absorbed at all

Ok….. update:
Chick 1: it’s beak is poking through the hole I made, and it is making the odd cheep… I think there’s hope.

Chick 2: this is a bit horrid but.. I peeled back the shell over the air cell, and it was definitely shrink wrapped. I find this surprising because all the other hatchlings membranes were nice and moist (5 so far) so not sure what went wrong? However…I pierced a tiny hole in the membrane and it started to bleed, and the chick moved 😰 I thought it was dead because of the shrink wrapping and of course no movement of any kind…. However I have mopped up the bleeding with a tissue and put coconut oil over the rest of the membrane and put it back in my piece of crap incubator. I don’t hold out any hope for it at all because it isn’t even getting any air, but will just have to wait and see I guess. Is there anything else I can do? The blood vessels haven’t been absorbed at all
Chick 1 is sounding pretty good. On chick 2, I would place a warm, damp cloth over the egg. (Be careful not to cover the hole you did!) That hopefully will moisten things. Again, you may have hit a vein, and not the chick itself. Try your best on not to panic and stay calm. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom