Day 22 no movement help

1. Yes I took the first one out the first day as instructed by the instructions and I think I took the second one out about a week later.

2. Here's where it gets a little confusing. Before I incubated I read to just follow the instruction that comes with the bator so I did just that. I left the temp at 99.5 factory setting and filled the water reservoirs with water. All that night I did research and decided I would let the water in the wells dry up and not put any more water in. The bator said the humidity was at 40 (which who knows how humid it was because the whole digital thermometer humidity reader was so off) on the 17th day I bought my own digital hygrometer and it said the temp was 95 ish and humidity was at about 40. I also was emailing someone back and forth who said she has 100 percent hatch rates with waiting to raise the humidity until the first pip. That was my plan but after it was day 21 and I had no pips I raised it to about 55. Then after I saw my fist pip on day 22 I raised it to 65 and its stayed that way ever since.

As far as the humidity in the room I honestly could not tell you unfortunely.

Two eggs pipped around 1:30-2:30 today no more progress which is fine. But the initial pip of the first one was 5:45 yesterday and it actually created then hole that is in my picture at about noon today. It hasn't made any progress what so ever and just looks wore out poor baby.

Thank you for your reply! Maybe you can help!
If the temp was running that low, then they are most likely going to be late! I have done that before, then I went and bought new thermometers!! The kitchen thermometers were actually $6-7 and I have one that has a probe on a wire so I can put the readout out side of the bator and not have to open it and I think it was $12. Heres to hoping those other 2 make more progress. You can take a q-tip with warm water and try to rub the membrane through the pipped hole of the first egg and that should help moisten the membrane. Does it look White, or is it a clearish color with the veining? If it is white, it is definitely dried out and could make it difficult for the chick to get out.

If the temp was running that low, then they are most likely going to be late! I have done  that before, then I went and bought new thermometers!! The kitchen thermometers were actually $6-7 and I have one that has a probe on a wire so I can put the readout out side of the bator and not have to open it and I think it was $12. Heres to hoping those other 2 make more progress. You can take a q-tip with warm water and try to rub the membrane through the pipped hole of the first egg and that should help moisten the membrane. Does it look White, or is it a clearish color with the veining? If it is white, it is definitely dried out and could make it difficult for the chick to get out.

Ok after your post I decided to help him out slowly. I won't do it again but I felt under the circumstances he was healthy but just tired because the way he had originally been sitting and he couldn't push especially since he was drying in the shell. I took him into the bathroom with the shower on about 3 times in a span of 4 hours. The last bit I let him get out of himself. But when he did (I later realized what happend) his hair from his left wing was dried onto the shell. Im guessing this was from the whole being open for almost 12 hours it was pretty much glued to the shell. Making the egg close to impossibly to get off. I tried to cut the rest of the egg off and left just the membrane attached to his wing. He was flapping around like crazy. All the blood cells were absorbed there was no blood so I felt it was ok. He had the "poop sack" and a bit of the tissue I'm guessing that was the umbilical cord was still attached to him. This originally freaked me out and I figured it would fall off. Plus I had opened the incubator so many times I started to realize now I was jeopardizing my other two eggs who had pips.

At around 2 o'clock am about 30 min after he was finally out I realized he wouldn't stand up and was flipping onto his back. The I started to notice his neck was twisting and he was looking up so far that he would flip over. His eyes went all crazy and I was loosing it I didn't know what too do and was looking up methods to euthanize him. It was a very rough night and my fiancé had gone to bed around midnight, unfortunely he sleeps like a rock so he was of no help and I was all alone deciding what I should do. It looked to be wry neck and for the next hour I gave him tiny drops of save a chick electrolytes from a dropper. I made him a little cubby in the incubator with paper towels to get him to stand at lest but his neck was almost like dead weight flipped back. At 3:30 I decided I didn't know what else to do and if he continued to be that way in the morning I would get my fiancé to cull him.

At about 7:30 this morning I woke up expecting the worse. I walked in and there he was just looking up at me standing up like normal saying good morning. I could not believe my eyes and I'm not sure if it was the vitamins or he just needed some time but I'm happy that I didn't kill him..

Some of you may be reading thinking how stupid it was to help him and I don't plan on doing it again.but I have learned my lesson and I'm just blessed to have a healthy chick as of right now.

Now just waiting on the other baby's, if I come out with 3 I will be happy. I'm thinking the other 8 aren't going to hatch since its day 24 and still no pips.

Oh and more importantly THANK you for all your help!!

Its quite scary the first time, but you have to jump in there and do it to gain experience. When i hatched mine i didn't go through much trouble but it was still nerve wracking. All the time you spend controlling the air and temperature, turning eggs waking up late at night to see if everything is okay you cant help to get attached to them :) Im happy he made it you did a great job hope the other 2 come out soon
thumbsup.gif

Its quite scary the first time, but you have to jump in there and do it to gain experience. When i hatched mine i didn't go through much trouble but it was still nerve wracking. All the time you spend controlling the air and temperature, turning eggs waking up late at night to see if everything is okay you cant help to get attached to them :) Im happy he made it you did a great job hope the other 2 come out soon :thumbsup      

Lol I feel like I learned a great deal of information. My little Silkie egg right now has zipped open almost all of his shell in the perfect circle in maybe 30 min. Little trouble man did not do anything like this! Now I THINK I know what to look for.

Thank you for your encouraging words!

Funny thing is I took off 2 days of work for them and NOW there ready to hatch when I have to work the rest of the weekend. Little boogers

Ok after your post I decided to help him out slowly. I won't do it again but I felt under the circumstances he was healthy but just tired because the way he had originally been sitting and he couldn't push especially since he was drying in the shell. I took him into the bathroom with the shower on about 3 times in a span of 4 hours. The last bit I let him get out of himself. But when he did (I later realized what happend) his hair from his left wing was dried onto the shell. Im guessing this was from the whole being open for almost 12 hours it was pretty much glued to the shell. Making the egg close to impossibly to get off. I tried to cut the rest of the egg off and left just the membrane attached to his wing. He was flapping around like crazy. All the blood cells were absorbed there was no blood so I felt it was ok. He had the "poop sack" and a bit of the tissue I'm guessing that was the umbilical cord was still attached to him. This originally freaked me out and I figured it would fall off. Plus I had opened the incubator so many times I started to realize now I was jeopardizing my other two eggs who had pips.

At around 2 o'clock am about 30 min after he was finally out I realized he wouldn't stand up and was flipping onto his back. The I started to notice his neck was twisting and he was looking up so far that he would flip over. His eyes went all crazy and I was loosing it I didn't know what too do and was looking up methods to euthanize him. It was a very rough night and my fiancé had gone to bed around midnight, unfortunely he sleeps like a rock so he was of no help and I was all alone deciding what I should do. It looked to be wry neck and for the next hour I gave him tiny drops of save a chick electrolytes from a dropper. I made him a little cubby in the incubator with paper towels to get him to stand at lest but his neck was almost like dead weight flipped back. At 3:30 I decided I didn't know what else to do and if he continued to be that way in the morning I would get my fiancé to cull him.

At about 7:30 this morning I woke up expecting the worse. I walked in and there he was just looking up at me standing up like normal saying good morning. I could not believe my eyes and I'm not sure if it was the vitamins or he just needed some time but I'm happy that I didn't kill him..

Some of you may be reading thinking how stupid it was to help him and I don't plan on doing it again.but I have learned my lesson and I'm just blessed to have a healthy chick as of right now.

Now just waiting on the other baby's, if I come out with 3 I will be happy. I'm thinking the other 8 aren't going to hatch since its day 24 and still no pips.

Oh and more importantly THANK you for all your help!!
It's a tough decision when you decide to help. I have learned the lesson the hard way, but I will help if they are glued to the shell. He probably was really tired since he had fought so hard to get out. Great Job and now you have some more knowledge to help you the next time you hatch!

Blimey! What a stressful hatch you're having. I was pretty stressed, as you know, but I think I would been going a bit frantic with your little troublemaker.

Well done for getting it so far.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom