Day 22-No Pips

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Feb 15, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    4 RIR eggs-and they were due Valentines Day. That ship sailed, and its 7:20 on day 22 and no movement, and no pips. I've read some eggs hatch at from 21-26 days. At any rate, I'm worried, and afraid I might be facing crushing disspointment. I turned them all by hand and I have gotten rather attatched. Is there any hope? Any stories of late hatches?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, all I can tell you is wait until day 26 ( continue to check on them). If they don't hatch by then you may need to try again. Sorry.

You hand turning them may have affected humidity in the incubator

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. joshua.w.garner

joshua.w.garner On a time out

Feb 5, 2009
    Newnan, Ga
    Master S.M.C :

Well, all I can tell you is wait until day 26 ( continue to check on them). If they don't hatch by then you may need to try again. Sorry.

You hand turning them may have affected humidity in the incubator

I conststantly hatch 66% hand turning in my still air LG 9200.​

4. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    Hand turning wont mess up the humidity the first eighteen days and you dont turn them for the last three so that would not be a issue. What was you temp and humidity the first eighteen days and what was your humidity the first eighteen days and what did you raise your humidity to the last three days. Did you open the bator at all the last three day? Did you candle before putting them in to hatch. Need some answers to try to figure it out

5. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Jamie821 wrote:Hand turning wont mess up the humidity the first eighteen days and you dont turn them for the last three so that would not be a issue. What was you temp and humidity the first eighteen days and what was your humidity the first eighteen days and what did you raise your humidity to the last three days. Did you open the bator at all the last three day? Did you candle before putting them in to hatch. Need some answers to try to figure it out

My temperature was at a steady 99.5 degrees, with around 85 degrees wet-bulb for humidity. I raised my himidy the last 3 days, and did not turn them either. I haven't opened the bator except to throw in a piece of damp paper towel. I didn't candle them before hatching, but I candled them throughout incubation, about 4 times. The last two times, I saw definite veining and movement. That's what has me so puzzled. I don't think I did anything wrong.​

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you candle at day 18?

Tuesday night I'm candling before they go into the cartons and i raise the humidity... and I told the fam toinght, that bator stays shut from Tuesday night (day 18) through Sunday night (day 23) Sunday night they will all come out and go into the brooder... May rehumidify and leave the remainer for two more days then off it goes and we eggtopsy the remainder.

7. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, I did! I wanted to get one last look at them. They looked good. Good luck with your hatch!

8. YeOleBroodie

YeOleBroodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Just an idea that you might want to toss around.
    One day I went out, when I got back I seen that power had gone out for a good 7 hrs. Although it had come back on and the bator was just a bit low in temps.

Could that have happened to you, thus delaying your hatch?

9. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    There were no power outages in our area, so that has to be ruled out. It doesn't get too cold down here in the South Bay. Unless you are far up in north California, it stays pretty temperate.

10. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mine were due to hatch the 13th... had one pip that hatched out EARLY on the 14th and 6 more on the 15th. Waiting on the rest to see what happens. Seems odd to have such time delay between hatchings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by