Day 22 of incubation and no chicks yet???

It's still air hovabator 1602n. We incubated at 100° with very little fluctuation. At day 18 after removing turners, the temp dropped about 6° and took quite a while to rise back to 100°. Two of the chicks hatched yesterday morning, one yesterday afternoon, and one early this morning. We saw a pip (as pictured above) yesterday evening which continued to crack more and more and we could see the chick trying to push its way through the membrane but the it stopped and haven't seen movement in that egg since. The last one to pip last night took 8-10 hours to fully hatch. The temp is currently at about 95° and humidity 75%

And now that the chick in the bator has significantly dried, the humidity has dropped to 63%

I believe your temp is way too low for a still air. I believe your goal should have been 101*. There may still be some to hatch. You may want to read up on doing a float test. Check Sally Sunshine's collection of articles, titled Hatching 101.

Ok good to know. I read somewhere that temp should be turned down to 95° after chicks start to hatch. So I should have left it at 100°? And will look into float test, thanks.

Here's more:
Quote: Poultry: Reproduction & Incubation
Incubation temperature requirements
The incubation temperature requirements for most hatching eggs is surprisingly uniform. The eggs of almost all domestic bird species (and many wild species) can be incubated at the same incubation temperature. Therefore, eggs of several different bird species can be incubated at the same time within the same incubator.
The incubation temperature of naturally (nest) incubated eggs is controlled by the hen. The recommended temperature within an artificial incubator depends upon the type of incubator being used. If the incubator used has a fan for air circulation, the temperature must be adjusted to 99-100o F.
An incubator without an air circulation system requires a higher temperature. The temperature in this "still-air" incubator is measured using a thermometer with the bulb positioned at the same level as the top of the incubating eggs. The recommended temperature in this type incubator is 102o F.
The reason for different temperatures is that circulating air warms all points around the egg shell while still air temperatures are warmer at the top of the egg than at the bottom. Therefore, increasing the temperature at the top of the egg will compensate for the egg's cooler parts. The same average egg temperature of 100o F can be maintained (for the entire egg) if the higher temperature of 102o F exists at the egg's uppermost point.
Do not allow temperatures to exceed these recommendations, even for only a short period of time. Although it is not recommended, slightly lower temperatures will not kill the chick embryos, but can increase incubation times and produce weakened chicks. Temperatures only a degree or two above the recommended temperatures can kill chicks within 15-30 minutes, depending on how high the temperature is and the stage of development of the chick embryo.

-Kathy

Thanks for the insight. I will also add, just before lockdown on day 18 we candled 42 eggs and only 7 were removed because of no development whatsoever. The other 35 were all moving inside their eggs just fine.

I agree with the temp thing.

One other thing I would add. Placement of the incubator is important. A little disturbed room with a steady temp of 70-80* is best. If you must add a heat source to keep it there that is good.

We don't realize the fluctuation some one walking by can cause to the temp of the incubator. There are exceptions of course but with Styrofoam I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom