Day 23 and 4 eggs haven’t even piped yet!

Chickenguy3

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
This is my first time incubating my own eggs so I am still new to it. I started out with 12 eggs and 8 eggs developed up to lockdown. Four of the eggs hatched :jumpyon days 20 and 21 the other four are now on day 23 and haven’t really done anything. So I was just wondering if this is normal for some eggs to take longer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I just read an article about hatching chicks:) I don’t remember what’s its called but it’s the 1st post in incubating and hatching:) (if that helps at all)

I candled them on day 18 and they where developing. My temp through the incubation process was between 99-100 degrees (I used a forced air incubator) and I kept my humidity between 45 and 55 percent. I increased my humidity to 65-70 percent on the 18th day. It is currently at 100 degrees and 68% humidity. I haven’t heard anything from the eggs yet, but I haven’t tried putting them up to my ear.

I candled them on day 18 and they where developing. My temp through the incubation process was between 99-100 degrees (I used a forced air incubator) and I kept my humidity between 45 and 55 percent. I increased my humidity to 65-70 percent on the 18th day. It is currently at 100 degrees and 68% humidity. I haven’t heard anything from the eggs yet, but I haven’t tried putting them up to my ear.
Seems like everything was right on for incubation. Try tapping lightly on one of the eggs and listen for a response. You might hear a light clicking noise and if so, everything is OK. Put back in the bator and wait...... :pop

Ugh, well I guess you could try the dreaded water test. If you are absolutely sure that the eggs have not externally pipped you can put warm, WARM water into a medium bowl that can hold enough water to float the egg. It needs to be 100 degrees to mimic the temp in the bator. Place the egg into the water very carefully to not disturb the water too much and watch the egg. When the motion of the water settles down, the egg will bob and move independently indicating that there is a live chick in there in which case, put the egg back in the bator and wait.......:pop....again! This procedure is controversial here and I do not recommend it for eggs that are a day or two late but as we are now heading into day 24 for yours (right?) it might be worth a shot. Again, make absolutely sure that the eggs have not pipped externally or you could drown the chick.

I’m thinking I’ll use the water test as a last resort. If they still haven’t piped by Tuesday (day 25) I think I will candle them first and then if need be try the water test. But for now I’m just gonna hope :fl for the best and be glad that at least four chicks hatched :)

I’m thinking I’ll use the water test as a last resort. If they still haven’t piped by Tuesday (day 25) I think I will candle them first and then if need be try the water test. But for now I’m just gonna hope :fl for the best and be glad that at least four chicks hatched :)
Excellent plan! Please update when you know what's what!

Back
Top Bottom