1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 and nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by latb611, Mar 18, 2015.

1. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    No pips no nothing. I occasionally see movement but I don't know if it's actual movement or just wishful thinking lol. Still waiting.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Oh, that's discouraging, isn't it? As long as you're seeing movement, I's wait a few more days. Could your temperature been a little low? That will delay a hatch.

3. latb611

Feb 28, 2014
    My temp is at 99.1 with a humidity of 64%. This is my first hatch and I have another batch going on lockdown Friday so I want to make sure things are right so the next batch goes well.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your temp is a bit low. You should be at 99.5 for a forced air 'bator and 101-101.5 for a still air. Also, did you calibrate your thermometer(s)? If they aren't right, your temp could be even lower than its reading.
    Just wait them out :)

5. latb611

Feb 28, 2014
    Should I check them with that water candling I heard about?

6. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If your temps are low, it can take a day or two longer than the normal 21.
    Your humidity is fine.

You are on day 23.....If you pull one egg to candle it, use a mist sprayer to spritz the inside to keep the humidty up.

I have water tested eggs when the eggs are late to see if any are still alive especially if the shell is dark. Every once in a while there is a live chick in the egg and it that goes back into the incubator for a possible hatch. When they are several days late, sometimes they hatch and sometimes they don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by