Day 23 and only 1 little chick!

harvey2611

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Hey guys!!

Thought I would try and distract myself on here rather than staring at my incubator desperately waiting for my little ones to hatch!!

I incubated 12 eggs (Abagail, Bianca, Chloe, Dawn, Eva, Florence, Georgina, Holly, Isobel, Jessie, Kara and Lucky) last month. Wednesday (13/04/11) was day 21 and little Jessie entered the world! Was very exciting that it had been successful and I eagerly awaited the other 11 to show signs of life...

2 days later, today (15/04/11), the other 11 have still not pipped... I performed a float test earlier today and I am certain that all of them are fully developed. My only concern is that I see very little or no movement... Sometimes I think I see them moving but it might be my imagination!!! I'm really worried that the little ones have died
sad.png

How much longer should I give them before I crack them open to see whats happened? I know the temp and humidity was ok etc, I did A LOT of research beforehand... plus little Jessie is proof that something went right!

Do you think they still have a chance of hatching? I'm starting to feel sorry for Jessie all by herself while her 11 sisters are still snoozing in the incubator!! Hehe.

Anyone got any tips to help them along?? Tried talking to them and making 'cheeping' noises in an attempt to encourge them!!

Thanks guys and happy hatching!!

xx

I am on day 20 with 8 eggs in my homemade incubator. My question for you is did the egg that hatched show any signs of movement before it began hatching and how long did it take? I know that others have said to wait until day 25-26 before giving up hope. Good luck and I hope your little one gets a friend soon.

Yes - some have had chicks hatch out a late as day 25-26.

What Sleepyheads!!

I would be worried to.
hugs.gif
If Jessie is still in the 'bator, all the noise and movment

from her might just help the others out. If she's alredy in the brooder, I heard SOMWHERE

here on BYC, that keeping a radio playing next to the eggs just might encourage them.

Heres to wishing the best for you and your babies!

~ScissorChick

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Feeling a bit more positive now. Time is going so slow! Just want them to show some signs of life...

Um, Jessie didn't move at all that I noticed...she pipped at about 6.30pm and was fully out of her shell at about 1.00am. I left her in the bator until she was fluffy and walking around but then moved her to a seperate box so she could get to food and water etc. I was just a bit worried because you would think if 1 hatched on time then they all would...but its been 2 days since Jessie hatched. Then again, they are a mixed bunch, from various different hens...

We shall see! Hopefully within the next 24 hours Jessie will have a friend or 2!

Back
Top Bottom