Day 23 Internal Pip

@SammyKay
How is baby 2 doing now ?
So it's still not quite walking but trying to stand up and then its leg goes to the side. It's been scooting around and sleeping mostly. I figured it might be splayed leg but I'm not quite sure what I should do at this point. I'm nervous to put it back in the brooder with the other duckling because of the splay leg but would that be fine? It still looks weak.

So it's still not quite walking but trying to stand up and then its leg goes to the side. It's been scooting around and sleeping mostly. I figured it might be splayed leg but I'm not quite sure what I should do at this point. I'm nervous to put it back in the brooder with the other duckling because of the splay leg but would that be fine? It still looks weak.
Those bator bottoms don’t have grip and cause issues yo some walking
I use shelf liner the rubber grip stuff in my bstor and even over my puppy pads for the first few days
Sure helps give the little ones grip
Can you take a video ?
Even as a towel into the bator to help or put him in the brooder and see how it goes. Baby 1 will nibble
That’s normal

I just recently hatched a runner and kept him in the incubator for about 18 hours before I put him in the brooder with his siblings. Once in the brooder, he was still wobbly until the next day but quickly caught up, especially after eating and drinking a bit.

I also recommend putting something grippy on the bottom, like a towel or rubber shelf liner.

Here is info on the splay legs if you can take a video of pictures it will help us help better.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baby-chick-with-splayed-legs-please-help.1597676/
It was kind of hard to get a pic of the lil guy trying to stand up since it was sleeping but I'll try to get a better one later. The other leg is like this too 20240205_162128.jpg

It was kind of hard to get a pic of the lil guy trying to stand up since it was sleeping but I'll try to get a better one later. The other leg is like this tooView attachment 3741181
I would just move him
That bottom is plastic and very slippery
He will do better off that abd with his buddy so he doesn’t feel alone

I don't have a lot of experience with ducks yet, but I do have experience with raising other animals, and if I was worried that a baby seemed weak and might not make it, I think I would keep it close to my body for warmth and comfort, and talk lovingly to it, and encourage it, and give it some of my energy, ya know? Or hold it and pray for it if that's more your style. It makes a difference, in my opinion. 💕

I would just move him
That bottom is plastic and very slippery
He will do better off that abd with his buddy so he doesn’t feel alone
Great call. I moved him and he's walking normally and even drank some water. Looked like he got some energy back in him and the other duckling calmed down too. I played kalimba for both of them and they passed out 😂 20240205_165515.jpg thanks everyone who helped me through this process. I did end up making a few mistakes along the way but I'm so glad I have these two lil beans of joy!!!

Back
Top Bottom