Day 23 Internal Pip

These are duck eggs I assume. Nature knows best I would leave them alone and let them do their thing. Not sure why you would start opining such a big hole its only day 24 isn't it. The more you keep opening the incubator fooling with eggs losing all your humidity the more chance you have of losing others.
Yeah I'm not sure why I did either. I really was sure they had internally pipped but I was extremely wrong. I'm just glad they are both still alive and shaking their eggs. This is my first time incubating and I guess the nerves and excitement of seeing my baby ducks really just had me screwing stuff up too much. I have them completely locked down now so I just hope I didn't do too much undo harm tonight.

Yeah I'm not sure why I did either. I really was sure they had internally pipped but I was extremely wrong. I'm just glad they are both still alive and shaking their eggs. This is my first time incubating and I guess the nerves and excitement of seeing my baby ducks really just had me screwing stuff up too much. I have them completely locked down now so I just hope I didn't do too much undo harm tonight.
Prepare yourself for that egg to quit. If the other hatches are you able to find a day old duckling some where?

@SammyKay
Don’t stress out about it
We all learn from our mistakes
My first hatch went wrong every way possible
I helped one to much to soon and she passed away an hour after hatching
The next one had a bruise at the wrong end and I was told to make a safety hole but I was to scared to hell after the first one
That one died cause I didn’t help
Luckily I found a great member on here who had a tons of patients with me
I had 2 more that needed assistance and 2 that hatched themselves
She helped me through it all
I have since then hatched well over 60 babies between myself and the schools I set up
I have great success
I did learn don’t incubate your ducks first eggs
Way to small and this caused me all my assistance issues

It’s great to look up videos on internal pips. This helps to really know the difference
Often 3 things to watch for before the internal pip
1- egg will start rocking or moving around
2- you will see shadowing along the bottom part of the air cell
3- the air cell itself will grow really fast suddenly
These are signs when I start lockdown ( I don’t follow the book of day 25 ) I follow my eggs
24-48 hours after these things is when you will find internal pip
You can also watch the bottom shadowing movements
Little flickers here and there are normal movements
Up and down in a rhythm is breathing
When baby is ready to hatch it begins to breath a bit
This is when they either internal pip or if they don’t get turned proper they will make an external pip outside the air cell ( some bruise the egg and need safety holes made )
Biggest things I have learned is be patient. These little guys take a long time to hatch
48-72 hours after they start breathing
Also once lockdowns happens I don’t pick up my eggs
I candle in position if I need ti check them. This way I’m not confusing them while they are getting into hatch position

Many babies have still hatched when holes have been made to early
Others have passed
All we can do is wait now and cross fingers they hatch

Keep us posted
Try to relax :)

With my eggs
I will make a safety hole no bigger then the pin of the tac after 24 hours of internal pip
Then I wait another 24 hours before making it bigger to see what’s going on
Often I can candle above the air cell into the egg and see if the veins have gone away
If there is still good sized veins I wait longer
If all veins look gone I will make the zip and pull the cap back a bit so baby can finish the hatch
Are you certain you saw beaks in the air cell or just baby pushing against the membrane ?
We want to be certain if was beaks so we aren’t breaking them out to fast
With the pin size hole they can get air but they won’t loose the moisture needed to hatch
I have not had one shrink wrap by making the hole
I move quickly and usually leave the bator closed just bringing the egg out
But I have had an egg have an external pip that I didn’t know about
Pulled all the eggs out , removed the turner and started to place the eggs back in
Felt the external pip on one
They had been out for over 5 mins by then
Baby was fine and hatched on his own
I use a Q tip and coconut oil
Or Vaseline
But I would candle and look for veins
As the baby absorbs it also moves down into position
This leaves an opening where you can see in the egg
Normally we candle through the air cell but this time you will put the light on the side of the egg above the air cell to see in
I have been able to tell if they are ready by doing this
We want them to absorb and they don’t need a big hole to do so
They only give themselves a crack till it’s time to zip
I have done it both ways
1- assist slowly opening the egg every few hours more and more watching for blood veins
2- smsll pin hole and waiting till I see the veins have gone then making ybf zip
I like 2 much better
I don’t hit veins
Baby doesn’t need membranes wet every few hours
The risk is much less this way

@SammyKay
Don’t stress out about it
We all learn from our mistakes
My first hatch went wrong every way possible
I helped one to much to soon and she passed away an hour after hatching
The next one had a bruise at the wrong end and I was told to make a safety hole but I was to scared to hell after the first one
That one died cause I didn’t help
Luckily I found a great member on here who had a tons of patients with me
I had 2 more that needed assistance and 2 that hatched themselves
She helped me through it all
I have since then hatched well over 60 babies between myself and the schools I set up
I have great success
I did learn don’t incubate your ducks first eggs
Way to small and this caused me all my assistance issues

It’s great to look up videos on internal pips. This helps to really know the difference
Often 3 things to watch for before the internal pip
1- egg will start rocking or moving around
2- you will see shadowing along the bottom part of the air cell
3- the air cell itself will grow really fast suddenly
These are signs when I start lockdown ( I don’t follow the book of day 25 ) I follow my eggs
24-48 hours after these things is when you will find internal pip
You can also watch the bottom shadowing movements
Little flickers here and there are normal movements
Up and down in a rhythm is breathing
When baby is ready to hatch it begins to breath a bit
This is when they either internal pip or if they don’t get turned proper they will make an external pip outside the air cell ( some bruise the egg and need safety holes made )
Biggest things I have learned is be patient. These little guys take a long time to hatch
48-72 hours after they start breathing
Also once lockdowns happens I don’t pick up my eggs
I candle in position if I need ti check them. This way I’m not confusing them while they are getting into hatch position

Many babies have still hatched when holes have been made to early
Others have passed
All we can do is wait now and cross fingers they hatch

Keep us posted
Try to relax :)
All of this is very very good info that anyone going into hatching should research. And glad you are able and willing to take your time to explain to others that knowledge in detail. But it should also be stressed that eggs have been hatching for many years without our help. And assisting in most cases is done as a last resort not as normal hatching process especially for those that are so new to incubating. So much more harm is done by assisting from novice and experienced hatchers than good. So, we need to be very careful how we put this info out to other less experienced, we must really dig into their circumstances to really help their specific situations.

Last edited:
All of this is very very good info that anyone going into hatching should research. And glad you are able and willing to take your time to explain to others that knowledge in detail. But it should also be stressed that eggs have been hatching for many years without our help. And assisting in most cases is done as a last resort not as normal hatching process especially for those that are so new to incubating. So much more harm is done by assisting from novice hatchers than good. So, we need to be very careful how we put this info out to other less experienced, we must really dig into their circumstances to really help their specific situations.
I agree
Just trying to help now that the egg has been opened

Back
Top Bottom