day 23 no external pip

Hsinichung

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
It's my first time hatching chicken eggs. I was given total of 7 eggs, out of the 7 two had survived. Yesterday one of the chick hatched and in good condition, however the other egg didn't have any external pip at all. Today would be day 23, so I decided to candle the egg, I did see a little bit of internal pip, minimal to no movement of the chick and I did see some blood vessel. Is the chick going to be ok?
The humidity is at 72% with temp at 98-99 degree.

Make a safety hole so it doesn't run out of air. Score the egg shell with something sharp - a pin, a nail, etc. - keep scoring until you wear down the shell and make a tiny hole, don't press down to make the hole because that will crack the egg. After you make the safety hole, put it back in the incubator and give it some time. Look up assisted hatch for more details - you may need to intervene more if it doesn't progress on its own. It's tough... Hang in there and good luck!

Would it be too late if I wait until I get home from work in the afternoon
It's really hard to say. Depends on when it pipped internally and how much of the air in the shell it has already used up... No way to know. If you're at work, then you're at work. Do it when you get back and hope for the best. A lot of this is guesswork and luck...

Chicks dont move much in the early hatching process. Breathing, absorbing, and resting to obtain strength mostly. Temperature being a tad low may have just slowed the process a little and is causing a late hatch, which is perfectly ok to an extent. It would help alot to know exactly when it internally pipped. Its had to advise an air hole without knowing. If it internally pipped shortly before you candled it, an air hole can do more harm than good. Some of mine internally pipped atleast two days before externally pipping and hatched just fine by themselves, even after being externally pipped for awhile. I won't advise to or not to peirce an air hole as the time frame is unknown. It could need one, or it could not. Update when you get home from work!

True, it's really hard to tell. I've had a bunch of chicks pip internally and then die, and by the time I opened the egg it was too late, so I'm on that end of things... If I'd intervened sooner, they probably would've made it. But it's guesswork either way. Where did the eggs come from? Do they come from healthy stock? Were they shipped eggs? Shipped eggs are more prone to problems, including and especially dying in the shell after lockdown, at any point in the process.

I am a preschool teacher and we are learning about farm animals. So A family friend of our raised their own chickens and she gave us some to hatch in order for me to teach students about chickens

I am a preschool teacher and we are learning about farm animals. So A family friend of our raised their own chickens and she gave us some to hatch in order for me to teach students about chickens
They should have a better chance than shipped eggs then. And even if the baby doesn't make it, it's still a teachable moment for your class... Teaches about life and death, which is an integral part of the farm experience... Good luck!

Chicks dont move much in the early hatching process. Breathing, absorbing, and resting to obtain strength mostly. Temperature being a tad low may have just slowed the process a little and is causing a late hatch, which is perfectly ok to an extent. It would help alot to know exactly when it internally pipped. Its had to advise an air hole without knowing. If it internally pipped shortly before you candled it, an air hole can do more harm than good. Some of mine internally pipped atleast two days before externally pipping and hatched just fine by themselves, even after being externally pipped for awhile. I won't advise to or not to peirce an air hole as the time frame is unknown. It could need one, or it could not. Update when you get home from work!
So I just got home from work and went in to check on the egg. I candled it and gave a little tap. It responded back with peeps, but there is no external pips. Should I continue to wait?

So I just got home from work and went in to check on the egg. I candled it and gave a little tap. It responded back with peeps, but there is no external pips. Should I continue to wait?

Back
Top Bottom