Day 23 of incubation, embryo is alive, but egg is half empty

GreenGiraffe

Hatching
Dec 15, 2021
This has never happened to me before..

I’ve incubated a few eggs in a steady environment of temperature and humidity (37-38.5c and 50-65% respectively). Temperature never went below 37c.

2 eggs hatched on day 21, healthy and normal.

It’s day 23 and I still have one egg left. The embryo is alive and moving, the egg is full of veins, but the weird thing is that the egg is half empty still as if it was day 13 or 14 of incubation.

Could anyone explain that?

This has never happened to me before..

I’ve incubated a few eggs in a steady environment of temperature and humidity (37-38.5c and 50-65% respectively). Temperature never went below 37c.

2 eggs hatched on day 21, healthy and normal.

It’s day 23 and I still have one egg left. The embryo is alive and moving, the egg is full of veins, but the weird thing is that the egg is half empty still as if it was day 13 or 14 of incubation.

Could anyone explain that?
Welcome to BYC! Did you calibrate at least two extra thermometers to keep inside the incubator?
Usually the temp readout on the incubator is off. Mine is off by several degrees, which makes a huge difference in incubation.
It's also possible that that egg has been in a cool spot throughout incubation, causing it to incubate at a lower temperature than needed. It might not have necessarily been too low of a temp to be fatal, but it probably will delay the hatch by at least a few days. Move it into the middle of the incubator and put a calibrated thermometer next to it. I wouldn't bother turning it anymore, just leave it for a while. Lower the humidity back down too to around 40% or so.

Welcome to BYC! Did you calibrate at least two extra thermometers to keep inside the incubator?
Usually the temp readout on the incubator is off. Mine is off by several degrees, which makes a huge difference in incubation.
It's also possible that that egg has been in a cool spot throughout incubation, causing it to incubate at a lower temperature than needed. It might not have necessarily been too low of a temp to be fatal, but it probably will delay the hatch by at least a few days. Move it into the middle of the incubator and put a calibrated thermometer next to it. I wouldn't bother turning it anymore, just leave it for a while. Lower the humidity back down too to around 40% or so.
Yes, I do have extra thermometer inside the incubator, but you must be right. That egg was sitting at the edge of the incubator and was probably colder than the others. This incubator is nice, but not perfect.

Next time I’ll make sure to put all eggs together on the same side with 2 extra thermometers.

Thank you for your answer :)

Yes, I do have extra thermometer inside the incubator, but you must be right. That egg was sitting at the edge of the incubator and was probably colder than the others. This incubator is nice, but not perfect.

Next time I’ll make sure to put all eggs together on the same side with 2 extra thermometers.

Thank you for your answer :)
No problem! Did the egg ever hatch?

Back
Top Bottom