Day 24 no hatch - What do I do ?

henniferlopez

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Hi This is my first time posting and our first time trying to hatch. We bought 16 eggs to put under our broody. It was her second time going broody and she has been perfect. We on the other hand have made a few mistakes. Our first mistake was not marking the eggs, our second was leaving her in the coop. This would have been fine if we had marked the eggs as we only have 3 chickens but unfortunately our broody was stealing the others eggs. At day 18 we thought that's it we'll move her and put her in a broody pen with all 24 eggs! I know now we should have candled but didn't at the time. By day 21 eggs had started being eaten , moved out of the nest and exploded. I went down today (day 24) and she was off the nest puffed up and clucking angrily at our Australorp on the other side of the cage. I took this as my moment to have a peek.
There was one broken egg( I removed) non fertile and only 8 other eggs and the nest STANK. The eggs were all really sticky and had bits of shell and feathers on them some felt really light and some really heavy. I know if they are dirty they can get bacterial infections but as it's so late in the game I'm not sure it's worth cleaning. I tried to change the little but my lady got angry and started pecking me and wanted back on the nest. She's usually been very patient when I come near her but in the last hour has been pecking and angry.
So what do I do?
Do I wait? How much longer?
Do I bother trying to clean them?
Should I get some day olds and stick them under her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom