Day 24 none hatched?

Samt03

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
VA
My eggs are on day 24 and so far no one has hatched. I had a few peeping from inside their shells day 21, but since then it's all been quiet. I candled on days 8, 14, and 18 and everything looked normal. I had one temperature spike to 105 at one point, and when I got up yesterday my incubator was down to 95.

Is it safe to assume these eggs will not hatch at this point?

I've hatched 100s of eggs, and never had a 0 percent hatch rate so I'm a bit lost about what to do here.

I feel the same I'm on day 23, and nothing from mine.. I had two hatch on day 20, but nothing since:( I too am wondering how long I should give them, before giving up on them...

I'd say that at this point, the odds are very small of any hatching. As far as what to do.... load the incubator up and start over. Maybe there was a genetic issue. Maybe your thermometer is off. There are so many variables, it's hard to say what may have gone wrong.

I'd say that at this point, the odds are very small of any hatching. As far as what to do.... load the incubator up and start over. Maybe there was a genetic issue. Maybe your thermometer is off. There are so many variables, it's hard to say what may have gone wrong.
I agree. I'm sorry but there is nothing you can do....
hugs.gif

It involves heating water to around 98-99 degrees (temp of the incubator) and floating the eggs in it (as long as you can confirm there are no internal pips). If they eggs sink.. they're bad completely. If they float, they may still be all right.. if they rock by themselves, you have live chicks!

Okay, thank you everyone. Just kinda wanted confirmation that they were gone (as silly as that sounds) just never had this happen so I was at a total loss about what to do. (I normally wait 24 hours after the last chick hatches before getting rid of unhatched eggs so I felt like I had nothing to go by this time.)

How did the float test go? Did you candle?

I didn't do the float test. When I hucked them I got a few to crack open, the brown leghorns had no development (they never seem to for some reason), on the other ones, one quit around day 15 it looked like, and the others were developed but dead. I had 45 in there so I didn't check them all.

I did find one of my heating elements in the incubator had come loose at some point so that may have been the cause of some of the temperature problems, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom