Day 24

Quote:
Well I was out painting on the chicken coop and heard a bunch of peeping, desperate peeping, I looked and saw a keet running in the yard. It got out of the nest, the dogloo, the dogrun with netting on it and made it to the yard. Sophia is giving me the stink eye so I am not messing with her. I have the baby in a tub in the chicken coop, flat carpet on the bottom so it doesn't slip, and water. I can't find my marbles, grandkids probably found them, so I had to put little pebbles in the bottom of the waterer. I put some chick starter on the bottom until I can go pick up the turkey starter.

I haven't heard any other peeping coming from the nest but she is still all fluffed out over the nest. I hope I get at least 1 more so this one won't be lonely. Boy is he fast, LOL. They must come out of the egg ready to run cross country.

Good luck whith the rest of the hatch! I hope you get a bunch. Mine are just a couple days old and they are a hoot to watch.

Quote:
Thanks Kyle. I have been watching your threads intently and take note of all the advice you got. I really thought the netting would keep them in the dog run if they got out of the dogloo, but as always when it comes to guineas what we think and what actually happens is not usually the same thing.

ladi, you may need to dip the keet's beak in the water a few times and make sure it gets a few swallows, a few times a day at least... it may not drink on it's own for a day or 2, especially since it's by itself. You can add a mirror to the tub so it has some company in the meantime.

Quote:
Thanks PeepsCA. I did dip it's beak in the water but couldn't tell if it took any in or not. Well mom was buckweating like crazy since she could hear the baby, the coop is right in front of the dog run, so I went and checked on her and saw two more babies. I took "Houdini" and put it back in the dogloo, put in the water fountain, and then blocked the doorway with a wire grate to keep them all in.

I have the brooder all ready to go in the chicken coop should they need rescuing.

Houdini is a darker color, I think the pearl gray and one of the others is lighter, white around the eyes, and white belly. I couldn't see the third one other then it's beak peaking out under a wing.

LoL well at least you are prepared
smile.png
Hope she hatches them all out for you.

The Houdini nickname cracked me up!

Here's my hatch from yesterday and this morning:
6-1hatch_31keets.jpg

I just love looking at all your hatches PeepsCA, so cute, such variety.

I could hear more eggs cracking, (more like breaking) in the nest so hopefully all that hatch will be okay. I am going to attach some vinyl siding pieces I have around the bottom of the chainlink on the back side of the run tomorrow and when she is done hatching I will try to get her and them moved back there so they can't escape. I would love for her to be able to keep them at least for a week BUT I am prepared just in case.

I don't think this will be a big hatch since she only had about 15 or so of her eggs and some of them are from when she first started laying. The rest of the eggs in the nest are Lacey's eggs that Sophia stole and pulled under her.

Back
Top Bottom