1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Day 25 and Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by philsphamily, Apr 3, 2009.

1. philsphamily

philsphamily New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    We've had one Broodie sitting on our eggs (started with 6... now down to 3). We weren't able to candle until day 20... we were out of town and not prepared enough to have someone go candle for us. We did at Day 20 and two looked normal enough... but I don't know that we can tell that late.

Today our normal Mama got off the eggs and wandered about the yard acting suspiciously uninterested in those eggs. Another hen took up her spot though. Has Mama #1 given up? If so is that a good sign to go ahead and check the eggs ourselves?

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    If you are sure that the eggs are 25 days old, you need to check the eggs. only takes 21 days so they are probably dead and that could be why hen #1 got up and gave up. Course, she could have just been taking a break too.[​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    She may just be strectching her legs but if she has been sitting on them for 25 days its possible she decided enough was enough . SOme one that knows more will asnwers soon I hope

4. cherokeechick33

cherokeechick33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    maybe they work on shifts, your normal mama takes day shift and new mama takes nights [​IMG] ..... hmmmm thats strange though.... i'll have to look that up hope you get some chickies though [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -T

5. philsphamily

philsphamily New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I think we're gonna try swappin the egg's with bitties from the farm supply store. Has anybody done that when the eggs didn't hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by