Day 25, not pipped but still alive

Farmgrl86

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2021
First time ever hatching eggs. 4 hatched on time and are doing great but this last egg is still there and it's Day 25. I candles it this morning and 1/3 of the egg looks empty and only 2/3 dark where the chick is, but I can see and feel it moving and heard a faint peeping sound. I'm surprised by how little space it looks to be taking up in the shell. Could it just be underdeveloped and too weak to hatch? Should I just let it keep sitting in the incubator and let nature take its course?

Sometimes late hatchers have problems that interfere with their ability to hatch normally...and sometimes they're fine but take their time hatching. I'm the "hands on" type and will assist whenever possible, if I believe it's necessary.

If it's peeping, it's likely internally pipped. You may want to consider making a tiny "safety hole" to ensure that it has plenty of air so it can take its time hatching. I strongly recommend reading Pyxis's detailed guide to assisted hatching before trying to help, if you decide to go that route.

Best of luck!

First time ever hatching eggs. 4 hatched on time and are doing great but this last egg is still there and it's Day 25. I candles it this morning and 1/3 of the egg looks 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 empty and only 2/3 dark where the chick is, but I can see and feel it moving and heard a faint peeping sound. I'm surprised by how little space it looks to be taking up in the shell. Could it just be underdeveloped and too weak to hatch? Should I just let it keep sitting in the incubator and let nature take its course?
Day 25 is quite late considering the typical incubation period for most poultry species is around 21 days.

Back
Top Bottom