Day 25 ?

The Palm Family

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 5, 2012
I have 10 healthy baby chicks that hatched 2-4 days and
No more activity since so I candled the eggs left with no pips And I see air sacs in several so I did the float test and none of the eggs sunk 2 were above water a bit and the others were floating under the surface these are chicken eggs and it is our first hatch Any help would be greatly appreciated I want to make sure I give them my best and am unsure as to what happened with the other eggs

I don't do the float test as water can get in the eggs they are porus and not water tight. if none have hatched by day 25-27 I toss them, some people do an eggtopsy to see why they didn't hatch. But I don't do this as I don't like seeing them and it really doesn't tell me much because eggs that don't hatch can have a hundred reasons why, temp not right, humidity off, something genetic etc. the list can go on and on. I am just grateful for the ones that did hatch. There is rarely a 100% hatch rate with anyone hatching eggs and some hatches go great others bad

If you opened the incubator before all of your eggs hatched you can mark them gone. Not to be mean but you killed/shrink wrapped them. I know because I messed up and thats what happened with my first 2 batches before I was told to keep the top down.

I keep a soaking wet sponge in the bator during hatch. There is condensation on the window of the bator. It takes the babies longer to dry but they pop the eggs right off. I can open and close the bator when the little ones get to active and not lose humidity.

Thanks for the info. I have learned quite a bit from my first hatch and will hopefully improve on my 2nd hatch in the Spring. We are enjoying our 10 very cute and friendly chicks.

Back
Top Bottom