Day 27 - Call duck stresses

GHH633

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Hi 👋🏻 Newbie from the UK here! I started incubating 6 Call Duck eggs, 3 were removed after a week as unviable, the other three have been progressing well in fact one externally pipped on day 25 and emerged healthy yesterday day 26, (I only noticed the pip when I did the last turn before lockdown) however the other two I really don’t know if they are still alive, I’ve seen no movement all though they both have a large dark mass with air sac- excuse me I don’t know the technical terms! Although the dark mass seems to be very uneven, the only way I can describe it is like paint that has been sloshed around causing an uneven paint line. I can hear no tapping, no chirping and am worried, however the egg that hatched was very small the two remaining are larger, should I be worried? Is it possible they are several days behind the other one? I appreciate your thoughts thank you

Do you have any pictures. If it's what I think with the uneven line they could be quitters. I really need to see.

Do you have any pictures. If it's what I think with the uneven line they could be quitters. I really need to see.
No unfortunately I don’t, I could candle them again later and photograph, I would like to know one way or another to be honest, I have a bit of a sinking feeling about them to be honest. Thank you

edit I also need to find out how to add photos 🙈

Last edited:
Sorry they aren’t great, trying to candle with my phone and take pic with my iPad!

Attachments

• 4CA34DC4-1864-4837-A841-17C69AC8CF93.jpeg
    4CA34DC4-1864-4837-A841-17C69AC8CF93.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 86EBCB6B-3A36-41AE-B0C9-6EFF7EAEE406.jpeg
    86EBCB6B-3A36-41AE-B0C9-6EFF7EAEE406.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 6
Its hard to tell but those could still be good. They haven't internally pipped yet though.
Thank you for looking, the photos aren’t good, I don’t have great dexterity In one hand after a stroke so try to be gentle and hold and take a picture was difficult! I’m just going to keep them going for a few more days, tomorrow is day 28. There is no movement or sound, and they are quite a lot bigger than the first so I’ll keep my fingers crossed I would hate for the other one to be on its own, although my daughter has adopted it so it isn’t lonely! It’s very vocal otherwise!

Its hard to tell but those could still be good. They haven't internally pipped yet though.
I candled again this morning, no movement at all, I made the decision to break open and yes sadly dead duckling although completely feathered and perfect - what did I do wrong 😢 I now have one lone duckling we’ve added a mirror and a cuddly toy. I’m also going to set more eggs tomorrow 🤞🏻Any advice going forward? TIA

I candled again this morning, no movement at all, I made the decision to break open and yes sadly dead duckling although completely feathered and perfect - what did I do wrong 😢 I now have one lone duckling we’ve added a mirror and a cuddly toy. I’m also going to set more eggs tomorrow 🤞🏻Any advice going forward? TIA
Call ducks are the hardest eggs to hatch. You usually have to "help" them hatch every time.
Does anyone nearby you have any ducklings?
Do you have your heart set on call ducks? They are extremely hard to hatch and I've found them to have huge numbers of death losses in incubating. Whereas other ducks are easy to hatch with no real problems at all.
If you are set on calls I wrote this article that is just about hatching call ducks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/

Call ducks are the hardest eggs to hatch. You usually have to "help" them hatch every time.
Does anyone nearby you have any ducklings?
Do you have your heart set on call ducks? They are extremely hard to hatch and I've found them to have huge numbers of death losses in incubating. Whereas other ducks are easy to hatch with no real problems at all.
If you are set on calls I wrote this article that is just about hatching call ducks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/
Thank you, I’ll have a read shortly. I’ve just contacted someone about buying some young call ducks locally which I hope I can buy and introduce my little one to in due course. I am trying Khaki Campbells, I only really went for Calls because of their size, should have done a lot more research I guess! I don’t think I can go through that stress again. Thank you for your help I appreciate it a great deal.

Thank you, I’ll have a read shortly. I’ve just contacted someone about buying some young call ducks locally which I hope I can buy and introduce my little one to in due course. I am trying Khaki Campbells, I only really went for Calls because of their size, should have done a lot more research I guess! I don’t think I can go through that stress again. Thank you for your help I appreciate it a great deal.
The article is very useful, perhaps when I’m a little more experienced I’ll try Calls again, thank you again

Back
Top Bottom