Day 28 and no external pipping (Ducks)

Mehi24

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
So yesterday the power went out for a few hours while incubating on day 27. I put some hot water in the incubator and put a towel over it to keep the heat and humidity up. I also candled them yesterday when the power came back on and they were still moving. Today they are barely moving and they haven’t externally pipped. I’m getting kind of worried.. They are khaki x pekin/mallard.

UPDATE: One of the eggs have externally pipped! The others idk about yet as the one was all I could see through the tiny window on the incubator.

They may have slowed their movement while the heat was a bit lower, but one hatching is a good sign that the lower temps were not enough to effect the hatch.

They may have slowed their movement while the heat was a bit lower, but one hatching is a good sign that the lower temps were not enough to effect the hatch.
I figured that is what happened. I’ve just never had them that close to hatching when the power went out. Hopefully in the next few hours they will be out!!

UPDATE: One of them has fully hatched this morning and is peeping his lil head off 🤣 The others aren’t far behind! *Will upload pictures when they are moved to the brooder*

So far it’s just this lil guy still but the others are still scratching and peeping in the eggs :)

Attachments

• IMG_9562.jpeg
    IMG_9562.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 5
Only two of them ended up hatching and unfortunately the first one died in his sleep :( . But here’s a picture of the second one and he’s doing well! :)

Attachments

• IMG_9648.jpeg
    IMG_9648.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 5
So far it’s just this lil guy still but the others are still scratching and peeping in the eggs :)
Awe! He’s BEAUTIFUL! I’m incubating what I think is a Pekin Muscovy cross. I’m so confused because Muscovy’s take so much longer to incubate, so I put them in lockdown for Pekin eggs and hopefully they will be ok!

Awe! He’s BEAUTIFUL! I’m incubating what I think is a Pekin Muscovy cross. I’m so confused because Muscovy’s take so much longer to incubate, so I put them in lockdown for Pekin eggs and hopefully they will be ok!
Crosses between mallard derived and muscovies usually take a few days longer than mallards, but not as long as muscovies. I had a hen once hatch 2 crosses and 2 pure muscovies. Luckily she stayed in the nest until the muscovies hatched.

Crosses between mallard derived and muscovies usually take a few days longer than mallards, but not as long as muscovies. I had a hen once hatch 2 crosses and 2 pure muscovies. Luckily she stayed in the nest until the muscovies hatched.
Thank you! That’s good to know because today is day 27 and no internal pipping yet and what’s up with the air sacks? Are they supposed to move and get wavy?? 🧐

Back
Top Bottom