Day 28. Do I help?

Tanya_S

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
Hello. Currently incubating 1st chick.
Using an EZ.simply incubator.
Egg was given to us by a farmer so we thought we would try
Nothing happened til day 25. Pipped in middle of the egg, not in air sac so through membrane and shell. Ive read lots on here about leaving them. So we did. But 48 hrs after pip no further progress. Chick is alive and chirping here and there. So yesterday I tried helping by carefully removing some small pc of shell
Any part of the membrane next to the beak that we touched bled. So we left if.

This is where we are at. Day 28. Chick still moving head and beak. But still see lots of veins through the membrane above where the head is.

Is this normal? How long do we let this continue? I keep thinking that maybe its stuck. But if there are blood vessels still there, why are they not absorbed yet?
Thanks for any help!
20230319_073813.jpg

Good morning
I’m not seeing any thick red veins in the picture so they tells me baby is absorbing. May just be going slower
They can take 48-72 hours to hatch at wrong ends
Is baby still making chewing motion?
If it’s tiny little red veins there are ones that never absorb and are part of the membrane
If the larger / medium ones are pink or look almost white they have been absorbed

Good morning
I’m not seeing any thick red veins in the picture so they tells me baby is absorbing. May just be going slower
They can take 48-72 hours to hatch at wrong ends
Is baby still making chewing motion?
If it’s tiny little red veins there are ones that never absorb and are part of the membrane
If the larger / medium ones are pink or look almost white they have been absorbed
Yes still some chewing motion. But much less than yesterday. Im adding another pic. I feel like it should be ready. The membrane is looking tighter as well. So im trying not to panic, but really dont want to make the wrong choice. This afternoon will be 72hrs after pip.

Attachments

• 20230319_091247.jpg
    20230319_091247.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230319_091315.jpg
    20230319_091315.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 20
What are your plans when the baby hatches? Chicks are lonely when they are by themselves.
We didn't plan this one. So we got another few eggs to hatch after this little one was out. However we expected it last Sunday. So we have been waiting to use the incubator
If nothing else we will try to get some day olds, but i know theres only certain dates

Yes still some chewing motion. But much less than yesterday. Im adding another pic. I feel like it should be ready. The membrane is looking tighter as well. So im trying not to panic, but really dont want to make the wrong choice. This afternoon will be 72hrs after pip.
If it was me I would try to cut not tear that membrane away as it is looking thick and this maybe why baby can’t push out
If there is any bleeding take a quip and apply pressure to stop it
I’m not seeing any big veins though

Ok. Thankyou
I will. Not sure what a big vein looks like from inexperience so I appreciate it
In this photo above the beak you can see thicker red veins and then tiny ones
The thicker ones are what I want to see absorbed before I move forward
That tiny thin ones I’m not to worried about

Attachments

• F8FBF4BD-4E23-404D-81C5-D83A6B4622F6.png
    F8FBF4BD-4E23-404D-81C5-D83A6B4622F6.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Unfortunately we lost it. Everything looked good and dry. Chick was chirping and trying to move its head out. It Pushed the leg and its head up but there was wet blood behind its head and it went limp.
Soooo sad. But I thank you for your help.
Just couldn't help feeling at 28 days something was wrong

Unfortunately we lost it. Everything looked good and dry. Chick was chirping and trying to move its head out. It Pushed the leg and its head up but there was wet blood behind its head and it went limp.
Soooo sad. But I thank you for your help.
Just couldn't help feeling at 28 days something was wrong
28 days and almost 72 hours for a chick is a bit unusual
You tried and that’s all one can do
Sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom