Day 28 Pictures

melroseladi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Melrose, Florida
I snuck out and was able to get a few pics this morning. I have counted 8 baby keets so far.

Houdini
82888_dsc06190.jpg

Babies in the nest, you can barely see the lighter one at the very bottom of picture
82888_dsc06200.jpg

I have heard of egg on the face BUT.....
82888_dsc06203.jpg

LOL cute pics! Ha! How'd she get the egg shell stuck on her head, lololol.
The lighter colored keet looks like a Lavender from what I can see...
Houdini and the rest look like Pearl Greys, like the Momma Hen.

It has been amazing watching her. She takes her head and pushes the broken shells out of the way, or she tries to get them out of the way at least and that is how the shell ended up on her head. I also saw that she was eating the inside of the shells, not sure if she was getting the membrane off the shells or what.

I have counted 11 so far with only that one being lighter then the rest. She got off the nest and took them all to the food dish and made sounds to them that I had never heard before. She did not take them over to the water dish, however. She has also rolled some of the eggs out of the nest, deliberately and carefully selecting certain eggs and removing them from the nest, then went back to setting on the remaining eggs.

Any idea on how long she will continue to sit?

I'm surprised she's still sitting at all, she must know that there are live keets in the eggs she chooses to sit on still. I have no idea how long she will sit, I guess until she is convinced the eggs are done hatching. She sounds like she'll be a great Momma, hope she hatches a few more for you and she can deal with being contained with her babies until they are a little older. Congrats on 11 new keets
love.gif

The sounds she made at the feeder were probably the normal Momma Hen sounds they use to teach their babies to eat - Look look come here come here eat this eat this !
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom