day 3 hen sick

califcamper

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Our pet hen has been sick the last 3 days and I just cant figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Only one I have and she lives mainly inside our house like a person.
Symptoms: (all the same since day 1): stands around, wont move, with her eyes closed constantly, except for the occasional opening to look at me while I am force feeding. Dont notice any weezing or discarge out of beak. Her poop is strange, yellow with like a dark green portion in it, very liquidy (all she is getting force fed though pretty much is liquid and yogert). I did notice some black like little marks almost like someone took a fine pen and drew little like 1/8 inch little curves on her crop, and side of face in the red parts. I dont feel any impact or egg stuck. I have gotten tetracycline from feed store and vitamins and am giving that to her.
THANKS for all the info and help you all have given me.
Matt & Chickie

I am sorry to hear she is not well...how old is she? Whats her normal diet? Has she been wormed lately? Have you checked her for mites? I would take a fecal sample to the vet, andhave them do a test for worms. Hope she is better soon!

How old is she?

Yellow poop can mean that an egg WAS softshelled and got stuck or it can mean an infection.
Green poop can mean that she's not getting any nutrition from her food.
A picture may help too.

Spotted must be reading my mind again.

One other question I was thinking, has she ever laid before?

Thanks so much everyone,
she has laid before. I have never wormed her and was wondering about that. Any suggestions to a general dewormer and can I get at a feed store?
As I was looking at those litter black marks, I think it may be dried blood, alomost like she was scratched. So, Im thinking now maybe she was attacked and is tramatized. I was talking to her last night and telling her its gonna be alright and she seems to sort of coming out of it. Amazing, how caring and holding can be a healer. Or maybe its just the antibiotic is working. If shes not improved by end of day, I am taking her to a vet.
THANKS AGAIN, you all are really great!

Thank you Eggchel for the websites. I added them and will use them whenever I have a problem...
This morning I had a young hen that seemed to be having trouble breathing, I put her in a seperate pen and under a heat lamp. Left for the day and honestly thought I would come home to some bad news....well she is out there running and eating like nothing is wrong??
The info on here is so great.
thanks again.

any time your bird is ailing then malabsorption of nutrients will occur to one degree or another...the antibiotics kill not only the "bad" pathogenic bacteria but also the good gut flora necessary for proper functioning within the intestine...
To help her finish recovering after...(when you finish your round of AB) I would mix a good complete poultry supplement through the feed (Avia Charge 2000 is the only really complete one I know of offhand>you can order this online from McMurry or Strombergs) and offer a live culture yogurt free choice (live culture not the pasteurized one)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom