Day 4 of no eating or drinking

I went to TSC but they only had Chorid 20mg for bovines. That didn't sound right. She is preening herself, but won't eat or move still. so strange. I put her under a heat lamp for now.

I put it in my birds' water and luckily did not have to give it by dropper to any of my birds. You will have to treat your entire flock, however.

Mix it into the water according to package directions, and hopefully it will help her. I wish you all the best and will be keeping a positive thought for you.
fl.gif

My silky is not having any bloody stool but she isn't eating/drinking either. It's been like this for over a week.
I tried putting her back outside and she just sits there.

When inside she loves blueberry yogurt and croissants. She's got expensive taste..

Here's updated pictures on Day 6 -- she's still the same. She did finally poop yesterday -- no bloody stool or diarrhea really, so I don't want to treat a whole flock for Cocci if I don't have to. Any other ideas? If left to her own devices she just sits there. She swallows some (leftover water in her mouth?) and sometimes stretches and yawns like. She will walk if you push her and it doesn't look like she's in pain. She holds tight to my finger when on me and she flutters when I move her on my hand.
She hasn't laid an egg in these days either.

54660_l1200037.jpg

54660_l1200044.jpg

can't tell if her wings are droopy or if tail is down like in cocci.

54660_l1200047.jpg

can't tell if she's pale since skin and beak is black and her eyes don't look sleepy to me like in cocci

54660_l1200049.jpg

poop included two tiny stones or something (pellet for size comparison), but I figured its normal bit of grit?

I think we have very similar chickens.

I'm going to treat her for Cocci and see how that goes.
If you do happen to find out what is wrong and fix it, please post it so I can help my girl out.

Damn. Everything I read makes me think she's suffering from 15 different ailments.
Now I'm thinking Gape worm. She keeps opening her beak and doing nothing.

Last edited:
Just brought silkie chick to the Vet. He agreed she looked like nothing was wrong with her. Alert eyes, no swelling, nothing wrong with sinuses or lungs... I agreed to bloodwork and he gave me sulfur antibiotic stuff that treats cocci and other stuff to administer by syringe twice a day -- just to see if that takes care of whatever ails her. He said to forcefeed her liquidy/mashy food carefully -- often and in little doses, letting her swallow on her own and to keep her warm/indoors. What a bust. I am just about done playing nurse to this little terror.

Quote:
On the advice of someone else on this forum I'm going to try and expand her living space (currently inside) to give her some more room. There is also not a ton of sunlight available to her. I'm going to try and fix that.

As far as food goes, try a bunch of things. She may be picky. If your food is soggy enough you can hide crushed up vitamins in them.

I've tried:
Blueberries (loves them)
Blueberry Yogurt (loves it)
Vanilla Yogurt (doesn't like it much)
Applesauce (doesn't eat it)
Soggy oatmeal (will eat it but grudgingly)
Small cut up pieces of strawberry (enjoys it)

Back
Top Bottom