Day 48 - Weight Loss 19%

ulifarm

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
Hello! New to incubating and have 2 emu eggs on Day 48. I am worried about one of the eggs and looking for advice.

Egg A - 18.99% weight loss
- Starting weight: 695g
- Current weight: 563g
- Wiggles like crazy, rolls over
- Have not heard it whistle back yet

Egg B - 12.68% weight loss
- Starting weight: 702g
- Current weight: 613g
- Has not wiggled yet

Is there such thing as too much weight loss that needs intervention? If so, what do I do? Would love any feedback or hear your experiences if they were similar! Thanks in advance.

For the egg that is losing too much, you can try taping an area on it to reduce weight loss. You don't want to tape more than 10% of the surface area of the egg, though.

However, I've found that excessive weight loss can also be a sign of an infertile egg.

For the egg that is losing too much, you can try taping an area on it to reduce weight loss. You don't want to tape more than 10% of the surface area of the egg, though.

However, I've found that excessive weight loss can also be a sign of an infertile egg.
Even if it responds to whistling? Heres a video from earlier today

Nope, if he's moving like that then he's alive in there! What's the humidity like in your incubator?
It's 97 degrees steadily, no fluctuations and 30% humidity - when I open the incubator, it drops some but I immediately put water in it and raise it within minutes or in the morning when I wake up, it drops some but I get it back to 30% within minutes also.

It's 97 degrees steadily, no fluctuations and 30% humidity - when I open the incubator, it drops some but I immediately put water in it and raise it within minutes or in the morning when I wake up, it drops some but I get it back to 30% within minutes also.

I would see about trying to get it to 35%, which will help slow the weight loss some.

You're looking at around a day 50 to 52 hatch with that temperature, so he should be coming out any day now, anyway.

I would see about trying to get it to 35%, which will help slow the weight loss some.

You're looking at around a day 50 to 52 hatch with that temperature, so he should be coming out any day now, anyway.
Okay, I got it up to 35%. I've read about how they can suffocate with too much weight loss so preparing for the worst in case I need to intervene. Just not sure when I should since i haven't heard it whistle back.

Back
Top Bottom