Day 5-Didn't turn eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kristy in WA, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    What happens if I only turned the eggs once in the morning, and they went for 24 hours like that? Are they ruined? Kristy

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    With my first hatching experience, the turner got unplugged for a day. Didn't seem to matter. Hatch rate was about 85% and most that didn't make it had developed way past the time the turner was off.

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i think they would be fine. they should be turned twice a day but if they they miss a turning just get them as soon as you can.

4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah it will be fine. I started my eggs last spring before I got an auto turner and had to be away for 2 days unexpectedly. 21 out of 24 hatched.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They are supposed to be turned like 3 times a day, turning exercises the embryo and keeps it from sticking to one side of the shell. Not getting turned but once for one day will not affect them.

6. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I caught the stomac flu during my last hatch. I was running a high fever and failed to turn my eggs at all one day. On 2 other days I only turned 1 time. And I only turn my eggs 2 times a day anyway.

Everything came out well. I turn my eggs every 12 hours during the week and 3-5 times a day on the weekend. Works for me.

I would not worry about it. Everything should come out fine if the temps stay constant.

Darin

7. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Thanks for all the encouragement! That is what happened here. I was SOO SICK I couldn't get downstairs to turn them. My daughter did it when she got home, so they did get turned after about 12 hours, so I guess all is well. Kristy

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I have a self sufficient incubator, meaning that it has an auto-turner as well as a self feeding humidity system. When I candle the eggs, I have to level out the hatching trays manually and turn the auto-turner off. Well I have a very bad habit of not flipping the turner back on, so the eggs sometimes go a day or so without turning. Its never been a problem for me. If it were for a weak, I may be concerned that the embryos would be stuck to the shell wall, but 24 hours isn't anything to worry about, in my opinion. Especially not that early during incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by