Day 5 was a rough one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
Yesterday was day 5 of having baby chicks........it snowed 6 inches......and it was only going to rain and of course the power went out and after an hour it was below 80 in the brooder and when it got down to 75 I said ok gotta do something I even called the power company and begged them to send someone faster to fix lights...........I put my sweat shirt on backwards and put them in the hood with the thermometer and covered up with the blanket and in a few minutes we were up to good temp.......my other relatives had come to our house after the power came on ..........they thought my human incubator was funny it worked in a pinch.........just for a few hours...........the lights came on and off for several hours and when the temp. would dip in the brooder back in the hood they would........I kept them in for 20 minutes or so at a time.........I was afraid they would get dehydrated or something it was a rough long day but you gotta do what you gotta do Right??????????

What a dedicated chick mom! Gosh, I hadn't thought of that... the power going out. That was a great idea. Bet that sweatshirt smells good.
wink.png

Woah! Congrats on doing a good job with the chickies, interesting way to keep them warm
gig.gif

All I can say is that for once, I'm greatful Florida doesn't snow!

The snow was completely unexpected for sure........last week it was in the 80s here and there is still snow on the ground today........my girls out in the coop are all weirded out now they are tip toeing around in they're yard........

D.gif

I had to do that with my sweatshirt once when I had an orphaned baby who wouldn't stop crying. It worked great!

chickenmomva, way to go on the rescue!

Hope they provide you with lots of eggs in the future, for being so nice.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom