Day 6 looking good

What a cool way to welcome someone!
goodpost.gif

I have a hen that laid an egg the first night I got her and 2 the very next a.m. - soooo... - I thought "Why not?" - and marked them with a red permanent marker so that I would know which ones are which and have been waiting to see if the original 3 hatch; we have been getting eggs all along since we got the hens from the Perez farm. There were several roosters at the mini-farm where I got my hens (2 of them came with chicks even!) It has been a little over 21 days now and 4 days ago one of the hens started continually sitting on the nest. I haven't witnessed her getting off of it either! When are chicks suppose to hatch at this point? is it true that it takes 21-30 days? How long will the hen be on the eggs before I can expect them to hatch? I am so excited about having babies! My husband to is acting like a big kid over this - it is sooo cute to see this big, macho guy of mine getting excited about babies. Lol!
They say it could take a few more days. After 21 days. Day 30 I would
idunno.gif
I hope i'm never in that situation. Maybe some of the others on here might know. Hoping the best for you.

21 days after the hen begins sitting on the eggs for extended periods is my understanding. The eggs do not develop until they are kept very warm.

Takes 21 days and with a broody because that's the natural climate shouldnt be more then 23 days. If its been 30 days they are probably infertile or quiters. Don't be afraid to candle them to see.

I'll be candling 49 eggs tomorrow day 14 and haven't decided if I will candle again on day 18 when they go into lock down. I have a broody sitting on 7 same time as the incubator and will be candling those as well. Very excited.

Takes 21 days and with a broody because that's the natural climate shouldnt be more then 23 days. If its been 30 days they are probably infertile or quiters. Don't be afraid to candle them to see.

I'll be candling 49 eggs tomorrow day 14 and haven't decided if I will candle again on day 18 when they go into lock down. I have a broody sitting on 7 same time as the incubator and will be candling those as well. Very excited.
yippiechickie.gif
Good luck

So I couldn't wait for tomorrow to candle so I went ahead and just did it. Started off with 51 and last weeks candling everyone was showing veining and the little pea size chick. Took 2 infertile out left with 49. Today took out 6 quiters and left in a couple that seem to be slow growers but still seeing the veining. I'll be candling all again right before lock down. So 43 left in the bator.

Well I candle again it looks like I had some to drop out. Looks like a few stopped growing
idunno.gif
And the eggs I bought well waiting a few days and try them..

Chris good luck with the next batch. Last year for me was a bust. Hardly anything hatched for me. Full bator and 1 hatched. This season seems to be better. So here's to a better hatch for ya.

Candled eggs today day 18, 39 went into lock down. 2 possible quiters but I left them in there.

Back
Top Bottom