=( Day 7/10 (staggered hatch) 'culled' out the bad eggs

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
Out of about 40 in the 'bator, I candled them with my kids & removed almost 2 dozen that seemed to have no development or showed bacterial rings.

There was one with what looked like a blood spot & a bacterial ring.

For educational purposes, I cracked every one we removed. 23 were duds. The 24th I think I may have killed-there was a blood ring around the yolk but also veins and about a 6 day old looking chick.

If there was a bacterial/blood ring, was it already dead or did I kill it? My stomach is aching-I hope I didn't kill it. Being that there was such a visible "bad ring" I really thought it was a dud when I pulled it out.

With that many duds, you either had shipped eggs or not enough roos for the number of hens. Or your roos are to old or to young. With free range straight breed chickens kept 1 roo for each
12 hens. If you are breeding B C M's I use 1 roo for each 3 hens. You won't have as many infertile eggs with that match.

They were shipped eggs for the most part. I put in 6 local RIR eggs and 5 of the 6 are showing signs of life. Most of my shipped eggs were delayed, over a weekend, and no telling how they were handled en route.

LA~Poulet :

They were shipped eggs for the most part. I put in 6 local RIR eggs and 5 of the 6 are showing signs of life. Most of my shipped eggs were delayed, over a weekend, and no telling how they were handled en route.

I have a similar situation with one set of shipped eggs arriving late and causing a 3 to 4 day hatch difference. How do you plan to handle the lock down dates and split hatch times??

Carolyn...Louisiana neighbor and new chicken hatcher​

I'm just going to try to keep the humidity up as high as possible and wing it, I guess. I couldn't toss the later arriving eggs and I had no where else to put them.

My DH is handy about creating things, if I can get him to make a homemade incubator before then, ( have a week-eep!) I will split them up and use one 'bator as a hatcher. (I'm too leery of the wiring to attempt it myself)

Back
Top Bottom