Day 7, and I only see two eggs with babies in them. 6 infertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playingchicken, Jun 19, 2008.

1. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    This is my first time incubating. I have a still air Little Giant bator and 8 Golden Penciled Hamburg eggs I ordered off of eBay. Last night, I candled them and found two eggs out of eight that had moving embryos inside them. (Which was so exciting it nearly caused me to drop said eggs.[​IMG].)

I don't see ANYTHING in the other eggs. Maybe one with a cloudy mass, but no blood vessels, etc. I can see a yolk in a few so I guess those were infertile.

Should I go ahead and toss the six? The eggs are white and pretty easy to see in. Wouldn't there at least be some blood vessels by this point?

I already feel the urge to get more hatching eggs to see if I can have better results next time.

Edited to add: Today is day 8.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Since it is your first time candling I would wait til day 12 candle again and then toss if your absolutely sure...I always mark questionable eggs on day 7 and then toss on candling at day 14.....I have been surprised before [​IMG]

3. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Wait until day 10 than candle again. Some embryo's are slow growers! I had the same thing happen on day 7 and left them in until candled again at day 10, the ones I thought were bad eggs ended up having something growing in them. [​IMG]
    Best of luck!! [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yeah, I'd clear them out. They may've been fertile, but had shipping trauma. It's a risk you take with shipped eggs. I have 1 baby forming out of 8 eggs, and 4 babies forming from another 8 eggs. It's a bummer to discard the yolkers but hatching is a toss of the dice, anyway.

I gave my duds until day 14, but had no happy surprises...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks Tuffoldhen, Mamaboyd and wegotchickens! (This place is a treasure!)

I guess I will keep them until Saturday or so and then toss them.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by