Day 7...blood rings?

chickyrookie

Chirping
Mar 4, 2018
Red Bluff, California
This is my second attempt at incubating. Had the LG 9300 still air and lost my eggs due to high humidity (I think). I bought the 10300 with circulated air and bought a couple hygrometers, so I'm hoping for a better turn out.

I put 18 eggs in bator, and candled them all today. One for sure was not fertile so I tossed, 4 other potential non-fertile, 7 possible blood rings, and 6 that have movement and black eye. Now I have to just keep them alive.

Can you help me determine if the 7 have blood rings? I tried to take pictures with my iphone. One actually looks like it might have a hairline crack, but I saw movement. (1st pic) fullsizeoutput_fad.jpeg View attachment 1309932 fullsizeoutput_fa8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_faa.jpeg fullsizeoutput_fab.jpeg fullsizeoutput_fac.jpeg

Don't write them off yet. If the ring starts to break up and disappear then yes, they are blood rings. But at this stage it may be they are big, fat initial veins. All incubators have cooler and warmer spots so if you can it's a good idea to rearrange the eggs so that they move around the incubator through those warmer and cooler spots so the temperature gets averaged out over the course of incubation. That way you won't have some eggs lagging behind which could be what's happening here. :fl

Don't write them off yet. If the ring starts to break up and disappear then yes, they are blood rings. But at this stage it may be they are big, fat initial veins. All incubators have cooler and warmer spots so if you can it's a good idea to rearrange the eggs so that they move around the incubator through those warmer and cooler spots so the temperature gets averaged out over the course of incubation. That way you won't have some eggs lagging behind which could be what's happening here. :fl
Thanks, JaeG. Did you happen to check the first picture with the possible crack? I've never seen anything like it. It's really bright under the candler. I have a LG 10300 and I am having a hard time maintaining temperature and humidity. Doing salt test right now on hygrometer.

I see it now. You could try sealing it. People use that liquid bandage stuff, or nail polish, just to prevent bacteria entering the egg.

Have you got room to add some bottles of water to act as heat sinks to try to keep the temperature a little more steady? Or some people use big stones. I have the same problem in my inexpensive incubator.

I do hope you hatch some babies.

I like that idea of adding a couple water bottles, but I have an automatic turner and I can't even keep my hygrometer from slipping in between when it rotates. Any suggestions?

Liquid bandaid? Are you sure?

That's what I've read. I haven't tried it myself. Apparently you can use PVA glue like Elmers too. I've used wax before and the egg hatched out fine but that can be fun dripping it in the right place.

Is there room underneath your turners for an ice pack (unfrozen) or a sealed bag of water? Just something to hold in some heat. Someone had used ceramic eggs, if you have some room for them, because they fit in the turners.

That's what I've read. I haven't tried it myself. Apparently you can use PVA glue like Elmers too. I've used wax before and the egg hatched out fine but that can be fun dripping it in the right place.

Is there room underneath your turners for an ice pack (unfrozen) or a sealed bag of water? Just something to hold in some heat. Someone had used ceramic eggs, if you have some room for them, because they fit in the turners.
Great idea! I'm going to get some ceramic eggs at Tractor Supply. Also, I think that I am going to just monitor and watch the "crack". Maybe it's just a scratch. The little guy is still moving around in there.

Back
Top Bottom