Day 7 hollow looking eggs lengthwise

PaperChicken

Chirping
Feb 13, 2022
These eggs are on day 7. Half the eggs are unfertile, the other half look half hollow as if you set an egg on the table and poured it half full of pudding, about the only way I can think of to describe it. I see the embryo floating around and veins on the bottom halft and don't see any obvious blood rings but this doesn't seem normal to me. The incubator did get jarred a little bit on day 4. Did they die? Not sure why there would be a hollow spot if they died?

The pics are the same egg but the rest look exactly the same. The hollow spot is on the upper right half.

1.jpg

This is looking down on the hollow spot:

2.jpg

This is looking down at the air cell. The hollow portion starts at the top (12 o'clock) if you can see it.

3.jpg

This is looking at the bottom non-hollow portion:

4.jpg

They are turned 5 times per day with a manual turner that rolls the eggs over on its opposite side. I roll the eggs slowy and once they roll over 180 degrees (X's on O's marked) there isn't much play so they shouldn't be rolling back over to the other side. I kinda wondered about that since it seems the insides have just settled on the bottom of the egg but its odd that all the fertile eggs are like this.

I have taken these eggs out just now and put into another incubator that tilts the eggs 45 degrees each way so I'll see if they grow any in a few days. I have also stuck a new clutch of eggs in this incubator and at the least I'll see if this condition is repeatable.

Thermometer was calibrated, set on 99.5, forced air, hygrometer was calibrated and averaging 40% RH, plenty of ventilation.

Have you ever seen eggs look like that?

Would the eggs being too hot do that? I've found that one side of the incubator is 2F hotter than the other side.

Candled them again today (day 10) and they look normal. I see veins growing and no blood rings or spots, but the inside seems lighter colored for some reason. Maybe just because I candled some on day 14 before those.

These eggs are on day 7. Half the eggs are unfertile, the other half look half hollow as if you set an egg on the table and poured it half full of pudding, about the only way I can think of to describe it. I see the embryo floating around and veins on the bottom halft and don't see any obvious blood rings but this doesn't seem normal to me. The incubator did get jarred a little bit on day 4. Did they die? Not sure why there would be a hollow spot if they died?

The pics are the same egg but the rest look exactly the same. The hollow spot is on the upper right half.

View attachment 3280551

This is looking down on the hollow spot:

View attachment 3280553

This is looking down at the air cell. The hollow portion starts at the top (12 o'clock) if you can see it.

View attachment 3280554

This is looking at the bottom non-hollow portion:

View attachment 3280555
I believe you're just looking at the egg whites. The darker area is the yolk, with the developing veins- the rest is just the liquid. I don't think its hollow.
With time, the veins should grow and cover that area too. As long as theyre being turned properly there more than likely isnt anything to worry about.

I've never rolled eggs until now but it seems as you might be right. Usually the eggs get rocked 45 degrees back and forth and it must look different.

The first clutch I manually rolled are developing just fine. The second clutch I manually rolled look the same as the pics above and are developing too so it was nothing. When I put them in the tilting turner, they went back to how I was used to seeing them.

Rolled eggs do look different than tilted eggs when candled on day 7. I had always tilted mine before. The clear settles on the bottom so how the egg sits is where it settles, whether on its side or in the bottom of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom