Day 8 air sac problem?

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
I have 4 eggs that I have been incubating for 8 days, everyone is developing fine but 1 has an air sac on the side of the top of the egg instead of the center like the rest, I was wondering if it is going to cause any problems, or if It will eventually kill the baby chick inside. Anyone ever had one look like this?

Was this egg shipped or local? It can happen in either case and as long as the egg continues to develop it shouldn't be a problem. Especially since that one is just a little off center. I've seen them all the way down the side of the egg. The only thing you can do is if/when the egg gets to lockdown, trace the air cell so you can make sure the chick is positioned correctly and pips into the air cell.

Thank you for responding! The egg was one of mine, from my backyard flock. I did however bring it right in and set it in the bator and I've read some need to rest. I will mark the egg sack if it makes it to lockdown, what happens if the chick doesn't pip it in the right spot?

Thank you for responding! The egg was one of mine, from my backyard flock. I did however bring it right in and set it in the bator and I've read some need to rest. I will mark the egg sack if it makes it to lockdown, what happens if the chick doesn't pip it in the right spot?

Usually, especially with local (non-shipped) the chick will still zip on its own. But sometimes they are in a position where it's not possible and in that case you would have to assist the chick out of the egg.
Instructions here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Back
Top Bottom