DAY ILD CHICK INFESTED WITH MITES!!

chickhatch

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
I have a pore little chick infested with mites I have removed most of them but they keep coming, my question is what can I do to help this chick. I’m letting it rest but it just keeps sleeping I’m super worried I have attempted to drip water into its mouth, it drank it but appeared to almost gag a bit. So what can I do ??

Dust it with permethrin dust, it's safe to use on chicks.

I'd also offer it water with Nutri-Drench mixed in just to help perk it up, but it may not want to drink yet. Very easy for chicks to aspirate so if at all possible you'd want it to drink on its own when its ready for it.

Dust it with permethrin dust, it's safe to use on chicks.

I'd also offer it water with Nutri-Drench mixed in just to help perk it up, but it may not want to drink yet. Very easy for chicks to aspirate so if at all possible you'd want it to drink on its own when its ready for it.
Is there anything I can give it around the house like honey or something to perk it up?

Is there anything I can give it around the house like honey or something to perk it up?
If you cannot get Nutri-Drench then a few drops of molasses mixed into water is somewhat similar.

(Note that none of this helps with the mites, it's just to help treat the chick with shock or lethargy. It's far more important that you kill the mites off ASAP.)

Don't give honey unless you first mix it with hot water and let it cool a bit. You can then administer it at the very tip of the beak with a dropper. The chick should slurp the drop on it's on. Also dust the chick with the permethrin, leave for a couple minutes then gently blow off. Make sure the chick has access to a heat lamp as well!

Back
Top Bottom