Day old baby with a problem

7AcreOrganics

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Ashland Oregon
I posted hours ago in another topic, this chick had a big bubble coming out of it, that did come out but it has a gumball sized tumor looking thing onthe bottom and someone here suggested it was the yolk still not absorbed, but i really dont think thats it. Three chicks are out of the incubator, 7 just hatched, this one with the issue is the first one, hes super small, cant really walk more than a couple steps without going to sleep, and is just off- hes shaped funny. What do you think? Liquid, as you can see from pics, is still oozing out too.
47b8da30b3127cceb7d6c9a04df400000016100SYsnLNu4Ym

47b8da30b3127cceb7d6c9ae4dfa00000016100SYsnLNu4Ym

47b8da30b3127cceb7d6c9afcccb00000016100SYsnLNu4Ym

47b8da30b3127cceb7d6c9ac4df800000016100SYsnLNu4Ym

I can't really tell from the pics what that is! Bless his heart. It doesn't really look too good, though. Wish I could help, but the truth is, I've never had a baby chick. All my chickens were at least 6 to 8 weeks old and most were much older when I got them. Does the chick eat, drink, and poo?

Hes just 24hrs - we just put him in the brooder. The others are pecking and eating. I have not seen him do it though. I dont want to have to put him down, especially if there is any hope for him, but i really dont want him to suffer.

I guess all you can do is watch to see if that thing falls off or is absorbed. He will need to eat and drink within the next day, however. If he can't do that, he probably won't make it. Have you tried dipping his beak in the water to show him where it is? Have you tried to get him to eat a few crumbles from your hand?

I just went out again and he wont open his eyes. He was taking a few steps, with the eyes closed, and really, is just not right. Its a tumor - his whole lower half- something dreadfully wrong.

I'm so sorry. I don't know if there's anything anyone could do. It's good you have some normal ones from your hatch. Try to focus on them. Sometimes chicks just don't make it, and it's sad, but there is nothing to be done about some births even in humans. Again, I'm sorry for you and the little chick.

Back
Top Bottom