day old chick falling over/can't keep balance

well. I took the wrap off. It made it even harder to control the legs. I'm keeping the chick in the incubator over night with another chicks that's mellow, for company. The chicks seem to be trying hard to get up and get a hang of walking. Maybe it just needs more time to practice. I hope so.

Still trying to figure out how to help my chick. It has not make progress for the better.
I'm thinking this is what's happening to it:
Cerebellar Abiotropy

• This condition develops shortly after a chick is born creates progressive balance and coordination problems caused by brain neurons called Purkinje cells dying off.
  • It is genetic, progressive and cannot be cured.
  • Symptoms: difficulty determining space and distance, awkwardness standing and walking, hyperreactivity, head bobbing when walking.
Cerebellar Hypoplasia and Hydrocephalus

• This condition manifests shortly after a chick is born. It results from inadequate development of the cerebellum and fluid pressure on the brain, and causes problems with balance and coordination.
  • Some research indicates it can be caused by a Chicken Parvovirus.
  • Symptoms: lying on side while paddling with legs, diarrhea, possible death.

The chick did not improve. It was on its side, going around, not able to put its feet under, lift the body and keep balance.
We decided to end its life. It was horrible. We all cried.
I'm still sick to my stomach.
Horrible, horrible experience.
:(
Never again do I want to go through something like that.

The chick did not improve. It was on its side, going around, not able to put its feet under, lift the body and keep balance.
We decided to end its life. It was horrible. We all cried.
I'm still sick to my stomach.
Horrible, horrible experience.
Never again do I want to go through something like that.

I am sorry you had to put it down,I had to cull one of my hens yesterday and my kids think I am the worst person out there but know that you have done the right thing,no matter how hard we try we can't heal them all and sometimes it is best for the animal it is humane and they are no longer suffering.

Thank you, Cherish. I know the chick would not be able to survive with its condition and we did what we had to do. It's so hard to make that call but execute it even harder.
I'm sorry about your hen. My kids have a hard time dealing with it too.

Thank you, Cherish. I know the chick would not be able to survive with its condition and we did what we had to do. It's so hard to make that call but execute it even harder.
I'm sorry about your hen. My kids have a hard time dealing with it too.

I cried and felt so guilty the first time I had to put a chick down but it was for the better,I would like to say it gets easier but I like to think you just kind of get numb to it. My kids will come say their goodbyes and then I ask them to leave while I do what I have to do. The hen was the 5th one I had to put down and my oldest son refused to go ,he's 12. He watched me and then stormed out of the room yelling that I was a murderer. I let him go off to be on his own,while I got my emotions under control and disposed of the body. His dad talked to him about what I did and why I did it. My son later came in and told me he was sorry but I told him I understood he was just upset.

How did you put them down so sad.i felt sad when I put my chicken down she just started to lay

Last edited:
It IS a sad thing when you have to take a life, any life...even if it is to feed you and the family! I hope I NEVER become adjusted to taking a life and that I will always feel it....I believe it is our responsibility, when we take on livestock of any kind, that it is part of the whole package, be it illness or for meat!!!

I never want to become cold hearted, but will continue to raise my birds for their eggs and meat...cry as I will, when I have to process them, I still do, as I know that is the reason I got them...I think I might have to cull a cockerel this fall, as he is getting a bit big for his britches already, at 4+ weeks...the other cockerel lets me handle the pullets, but the one I might have to cull runs at me already and gives me the evil eye...if that should change, than freezer camp would be off the table, but if it gets worse? To camp he will go, and I will cry!!!

I used to hunt, and would cry after I took the shot...but would follow through, as that is how we fed our family, plus our livestock also!!!

Here's a big
hugs.gif
to both of you!!! Life is tough, but atleast we are giving these birds a great life while they are with us and doing our best to help them if they are sick!!! Feeling is what makes us human!

So sorry you had to go through this and I agree you did the right thing!!!

I guess the way we chose to do it contributed to the whole drama - baking soda/vinegar gas chamber .... but we used too big of a container and it took FOREVER. I put my hand inside to hold the chick and come it down but after a few minutes I still felt movement and I lost it. It was taking toooo long. And the chick was still alive after few minutes, we had to change the container to a smaller one..... I guess we were all left thinking that the chick wanted to live soooo bad. And it did, it was very healthy and vigorous besides the inability to walk. It seemed like it didn't understand why it couldn't get up and walk. It was frustrated, just helplessly laying on the side and spinning. It was eating and drinking fine, but only with assistance - someone had to hold it upright, it was not able to feed laying on the side or position itself. If I didn't have to go to work, I wouldn't mind keeping it at home and taking care of it ... but it would never be able to join other chickens and survive without assistance.

It was the second time that we had to do it in a period of a few years. But I was already attached to this one and really hoped it was going to be fine.

We've lost a lot of chicks/chickens this summer to predators and it was heartbreaking, but this experience was way way worse. :(

We had a duck with the same issue... Would just flip over.... He did fine in the water, but couldn't stay upright on land. We did the best we could, but unfortunately he didn't make it....

Back
Top Bottom