Day old chick gaping/yawning/possibly gasping for breath

LaurieJoanna

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
I *just* got 4 bantams from Tractor Supply this morning, and the tiniest one (the reason I got the other 3, as that is their minimum) seems to be gasping for breath! He was not doing that when I got him... He was in the shavings they put him in until we got them home, and he's been drinking water, but it doesn't seem to be helping... I've massaged his neck a bit, to no avail... He's not nearly as active as the rest of them, but he seems to be trying... Sorry for all of the dots - I've had chaaaakenz for a few years now, but I've not encountered this, and I'm highly concerned! Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I don't want to lose this lee~tle~est one...

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_110454~2.jpg
    IMG_20220526_110454~2.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 10
Practically every chick I've brought home from TSC has required treatment for shipping stress. Until they get it, these chicks can be listless at best and prostrate with exhaustion at worst.

The treatment is warm sugar water and Poultry Nutri-drench undiluted.

The Nutri-drench, I give full strength from the dropper a drop at a time on the edge of the beak. The water is one teaspoon sugar in one cup warm water. Give these every hour or so all day today.

I've checked his booty, and it's not stopped up - I've never heard of Nutri-drench, but I'll send my fiance up there right now to get it and I'll begin the sugar water

He's trying to drink & foaming a bit

He's gone... Took me several minutes to calm down enough for my phone to function enough to even give an update... Thank you both for your help...

Poor little chicken

Back
Top Bottom