Day old chick, severe Splayed legs... Bone showing on hocks

HELP!! After reading this thread I think I have the same problem with a week old silkie chick. I put together a "donut" and have her in the glass. I will post a picture. But can I leave her in all night if I give her electrolytes every so often, if so how often? How much? Should I give her food too? My daughter made her a TV tray, as you can see in the picture. How many consecutive hours should i keep her in there, should i give her a break at some point? I just feel so bad for her. Any advice is appreciated!! Can't figure out how to post a picture from my phone. UGH!!!

I ended up keeping her in a cardboard tube for a few days.  You can see pics here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737847/splayed-leg-advice/10#post_10546091
She did great and was walking well after that.  But sadly I found her dead in the brooder about a week later?  Maybe she just never really thrived after such a rough start :(

How many straight hours did you keep her in the glass? Did you just give her water, how much, how often? I'm desperately trying to save our sweet little silkie!!

How many straight hours did you keep her in the glass? Did you just give her water, how much, how often? I'm desperately trying to save our sweet little silkie!!
You can see better pics of the cardboard tube I made for her here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737847/splayed-leg-advice/10#post_10546091 I kept her in it for about 2 days straight. I gave her water about every 4-6 hours and tried to get her to eat but she didnt. I figure they are really fine for about 48 hours after hatch without much so I wasnt too concerned and she did fine.

I should point out though that this chick had a different case than the normal splayed legs where you can easily just tape them for a few days and then they are fine. My chicks legs would literally just go straight out behind it, not to the sides like with normal splayed legs. If your chick has a more typical case you dont need a "donut" just tape the legs so there is about 3/4" between them.

I hope that helps, good luck with your chick!

Her legs are not splayed at all, she just squats 95% of the time. She will stand all the way up for a few seconds and then crouch back down. Ever hear of this? Is it muscular or a deficiency of some sort?

It worked out good. She runs around really funny now with kind of a limp but she holds her own. I also worked with her by supporting her belly so that she would stretch out her legs fully and walk around. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom