day old chick strong but large wound from momma

CoachAlangley

Songster
Jun 21, 2020
What can I do for my day old baby that I took away from the momma because she was scalping it with her attacks. The chick shows strength, but im afraid of infection on her whole right side of her head. its totally raw skin and I was able to get some of the shavings and food that was stuck in it off but some still remain. How can I help her or him?

You can start cleaning the wound with a mild but effective solution such as Epson salt water or C. silver. After it dries a bit but a protective covering 0f something like triple antibiotic or petroleum jelly on the wound. Repeat this daily. I'd keep it separated and warm, "Bach" (talk) to it often, and tempt it with tempting foods like boiled egg.

I have saved many animals with just hydrogen peroxide and super silver gel. I would recommend cleaning the wound with water and peroxide then put super silver on it. Putting electrolites in its water would help and oatmeal or boiled/scrambled eggs. :)

The chick is very active, every time I talk around him/her it perks up and starts chirping. Gave water and is drinking more than I expected. cleaned the area and put petroleum jelly over the area. When i cleaned it not all of the stuff that got stuck on the wound came off, so I am hoping that the moisture of the cleaner and the jelly will soften it up so it will eventually come off before it starts healing with skin growth.

Back
Top Bottom