Day old chick with a tiny balloon ( bloody colored) looking butt

pdavin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Waynesburg, PA
One of my chicks has a tiny (1/4" diameter) balloon looking spot near her rectum. I have been hatching for 5 yrs. and have never seen this? Could it be a prolapse of some kind? It is very near where the cord would be too. Is there anything to do? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to post as pick as soon as the temp settles in my brooder.

One of my chicks has a tiny (1/4" diameter) balloon looking spot near her rectum. I have been hatching for 5 yrs. and have never seen this? Could it be a prolapse of some kind? It is very near where the cord would be too. Is there anything to do? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to post as pick as soon as the temp settles in my brooder.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass learn to dance in the rain.

Ok anyone else runs across this. . .I waded through a bunch of forums and it seems that this little balloon thingy is some yolk sac tha tis protruding. I'm watching but it seems to be turning brown like one of the posts said - and it will fall off. I figured it out because as the little guy walked and rested there were spots on the paper towel but they were not blood. Looks yellow like yolk. We'll see how he does.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom